pakistani rebuild related stuff

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lorenzo wrote:
Oh, BTW, Caution: don't underestimate anyone just because no one's heard of them. If you read all 639 of Antaines post from start to finish, and yet you keep thinking that Antaine is actually Prankster Kevin, it gets real funny and make all kinds of sense. ...Kevin may have had a hard time making that editorial sound so reasonable yet so twisted, and also making those pipes sound so out of tune. :wink:
Are you saying that both postings from Royce and Antaine in this thread are, in fact, panks by somebody named Kevin?
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Oh no. Royce is who he is. He plays in Nano's band. If he knew how to delete all his cookies first, he could log-on under a new username and have a little fun too.

Thanks for posting. I can now go back and delete that post above. Besides, I wouldn't want Kevin to see it anyway! :wink:

Excuse me for a minute...

I'm back again. It didn't work. I got this message that said, "Sorry, but you may not delete posts that have been replied to." That only leave one option: it got edited by an administrator.
Joseph E. Smith

That was my first guess. To the best of my knowledge, one cannot delete their posts without some trace of it having been there (like an empty field). So, Lorenzo, you wouldn't happen to not be who you say you are would you? :D Or I am not who I am? OH GAWD I'm living in a world of prank clones.... more medicine, STAT!! :lol:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

You make me think of The Road Not Taken..."and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler long I stood" :-?

No, I've taken the road most traveled. I am who I am. But, this has given me a new idea for a tune name: Plankster Kevin
Joseph E. Smith

Lorenzo wrote:You make me think of The Road Not Taken..."and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler long I stood" :-?

No, I've taken the road most traveled. I am who I am. But, this has given me a new idea for a tune name: Plankster Kevin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Road Not Taken is among my favorite poems by RF... though I suppose most folks say that. :D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I deleted Royce's posts. We have a policy about personal insults and attacks on this board.

Dale
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

What's that? A Dale billed platypus?! :shock:
Jon Cooper

Post by Jon Cooper »

zap
Last edited by Jon Cooper on Thu May 05, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Royce wrote: I can't help you unless you're willing to admit you have a problem. By that of course I mean, openly confess that you're unmitigatedly unskilled and probably untalented.

Royce
Don't ask much, do you? :really: I have yet to read any of your postings on this matter that have been helpful, without being mean spirited and arrogant... and judging from the recordings of your piping on your website, I am at a loss in understanding just where you get the unmitigated gall to judge Antaine's (or anyone else's for that matter), piping ability or talent. Your words smack of the pot calling the kettle black. :roll:
You've got to be kidding. There's no way this whole thread has been genuine. It's got to be a complete troll job. How can you fall for this?

Oddly enough, I've been the butt of Peter Laban's keyboard kabonging a couple of times but I'm in complete agreement with him even if I am an unqualified hack as you suggest. At least I'm an unqualified hack who can hear blatantly overpowering, obnoxiousy toned, out-of tune regulators just piercing my ears, drones that warble and wheeze away extranneously over a chanter that should be a known quantity but sounds instead like a random reed from a random maker was randomly shoved into it and no attempt to tune or balance it was made. I'll say again, I've actually heard one of these Pakistani rebuilds played by Tim Britton and they were pretty good. Not great, but certainly playable and listenable. As for the Childress chanter, well, there's no excuse for it to sound like that except if it was dorked with by a complete know-nothing. And by "like that" I mean totally out of tune on every note in both octaves and chipping/squeaking away. Even if it were distorted it would be out of tune distorted--think Jimi Hendrix. OK, so that was a bad example. He was out of tune and distorted as well most of the time...

Even ignoring the boasts of playing at Doctoral level in concert orchestras and then putting up a sound file like that as evidence of a great set of pipes, this is just plain bad playing on a bad sounding, dismally reeded and maintained set of pipes. But when you put yourself up before this or any other musical forum as having performed professionally in numerous venues from weddings to concert stage with (apparently) major, respectable philharmonic orchestras, the burden of proving this greatness is upon the braggart, who thus, in this self-determined context, removed from himself any pretext of critical immunity due to this "tender novice" status you and a few others seem all too willing to afford him. Everyone here, especially our Performance Major here should have this pointed out to them, and yes though it should be entirely unnecessary, it is a public service.

This guy should not be on the stage or in public anywhere in any context, and certainly not with that set of pipes with whatever chanter.

You guys have been had, this has got to be a hoax.

Royce
Royce

Post by Royce »

DaleWisely wrote:I deleted Royce's posts. We have a policy about personal insults and attacks on this board.

Dale
Hey Dale, really, I thought the whole thing was a comedy bit. I was just playing along. If it is genuine, I guess I still feel the same way but I suppose I would have been more diplomatic.

Guess you guys need to hang with my mates more and you'd develop a thicker skin and more biting sense of humor. Here, everyone have a virual Guinness on me...

(I'll be hitting the codeine and vodka with a diet Coke chaser.)

Royce
Royce

Post by Royce »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:
Oh, BTW, Caution: don't underestimate anyone just because no one's heard of them. If you read all 639 of Antaines post from start to finish, and yet you keep thinking that Antaine is actually Prankster Kevin, it gets real funny and make all kinds of sense. ...Kevin may have had a hard time making that editorial sound so reasonable yet so twisted, and also making those pipes sound so out of tune. :wink:
Are you saying that both postings from Royce and Antaine in this thread are, in fact, panks by somebody named Kevin?
That actually happened in the heyday of rec.music.makers.bagpipe. Some guy or guys hijacked several identities, one of which was mine, and set in place a brutal rantfest back and forth till this grade 1 PM named Michael Grey called me up and almost wept about how I could never understand the dedication he put into his band or I wouldn't be so cavalier about criticizing it. Problem was, I hadn't even been in town or near a computer for over a week so I didn't know what he was talking about.

Royce
Joseph E. Smith

Royce wrote:You guys have been had, this has got to be a hoax.

Royce
Perhaps... but what if it isn't? In any case, the tone and content of your response was, IMHO, uncalled for.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Are we done here??
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tony wrote:Are we done here??
Well, I'd suggest so.

Dale
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:you need the 'one on one stuff' to allow you to learn and to grow as a piper. Without it, I am afraid you will not progress very far if at all.
I didn't really see it as harsh either. I think it's great advice, and I'm glad you said it, because it helps remind me that, though I'm one of those sickos who can pick up just about any instrument and figure it out in a few hours, I can't do it alone. There's some valuable things I have learned from books, but I don't think my growth will go anywhere unless I get some lessons, eventually drop in on some jam sessions, and seriously learn. Even with guitar, it is hard to learn by myself (even though I play quite well), because I don't have direction. Having an accomplished teacher is an awesome tool, because he or she can take you in a direction that you otherwise wouldn't have seen without another person critiquing your current work.