Martin Preshaw pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
wharfedalecarving
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Martin Preshaw pipes

Post by wharfedalecarving »

This may sound like blatant advertising guys but in essence it is not and is meant as a possible help to any piper's considering either a change of pipes or an additional set. It may also benefit anyone out there who has yet to purchase their first set and is bewildered by the pros & cons of various makers.
I have been playing the pipes for over twenty years and although I have a full 'D' set (with Peter Hunter chanter & Finbar MacLaughlin chanter) and also a full 'C#' set (with Froment chanter) I recently wanted a 'D' chanter that was easier to play. Basically, the Hunter chanter is superb but requires a high pressure to get the best from it. I required therefore a chanter with good intonation, bright sound and good volume without the high pressure reed so often needed for wide bore chanters.
After a long search through the w.w.w. and also snippets from Uilleann pipe message boards I began to form the opinion that Martin Preshaw was producing good quality pipes both in looks and musicality. In addition, the opinions I received through others was that Martin's pipes had excellent tone and intonation and his concert chanters were based on the famous Rowsome design.
My concern of course was "buying blind" as it were because Martin is based in Northern Ireland and I live in the UK. Not a million miles away I know but still far enough away from his workshop to my home should I be unhappy about a potential purchase.
As it transpired I had no need to worry because when I ordered a concert 'D' chanter it arrived in playing condition straight out of the packaging.
In addition, the chanter plays at a pressure that suits me personally and has a tone that is a real pleasure to listen to. It is in tune in both octaves and plays a very clean and crisp cran with an excellent distinctive hard 'D'.
The chanter I purchased from Martin is in ebony and brass with box wood
mounts and the workmanship is of a very high standard.
On the day of delivery Martin 'phoned me to make sure everything was ok and to check if I was happy with my purchase. Indeed, Martin is a friendly person to deal with and takes a real pride in his work and goes out of his way to ensure that his customers are happy. His after sales customer care is second to none.
Finally, I made the right choice in my search for a quality chanter and I
have no hesitation in recommending Martin's pipes to any potential
purchaser.
I have never met Martin personally and I have no connections with his business so in all honesty this post is based on my own experiences and hopefully it will be of use to potential purchasers in search of a quality instrument without the sometimes "10 years" waiting list often quoted by some well known makers.
Joseph (the UK one).
Davey

Martin

Post by Davey »

I believe Martin is working with Davy Stephenson and Peter Hunter right now...
wharfedalecarving

Davey,
I have no idea one way or the other regarding Martin and any possible partnerships with other makers. I do know however that I get the same volume and clarity of tone from the Preshaw chanter as from the Hunter chanter. The difference however is the playing pressure. Peter Hunter has made some excellent chanters over the years (I don't know if he still actively makes pipes) including mine, Ronan Browne, Becky Taylor, Nollaigh MacCarthaigh of the NPU video and Shaun Og Potts who all had our chanters made around the same time period. I have always found it prefers a high pressure to get the best from it. Unfortunately my fingers tighten up if I play a reed that is too hard. It's not an age thing either as it has always been so.
The Preshaw by comparison plays happily at a medium to firm pressure and I can consistently get the third octave 'd' & 'e' (and in tune too).
If Martin Preshaw is working in conjunction with other pipe makers then all I can add is that if my recent purchase from Martin is anything to go by then there is some excellent pipes being produced.
Joseph (the UK one).
Royce

Post by Royce »

wharfedalecarving wrote:Davey,
The Preshaw by comparison plays happily at a medium to firm pressure and I can consistently get the third octave 'd' & 'e' (and in tune too).
If Martin Preshaw is working in conjunction with other pipe makers then all I can add is that if my recent purchase from Martin is anything to go by then there is some excellent pipes being produced.
Joseph (the UK one).
The man knows his stuff and he's been a great help to me in a number of ways trying to restore a chanter of my own once and he went out of his way for me when there was basically nothing at all in it for him. If you are in the UK or anywhere else I don't think you have anything to worry about in any aspect of his work or reliability in delivery and so forth.

Royce
djm

Post by djm »

Preshaw has a very good rep for the quality of his D stuff. I heard that he would like to break into the flats as well, but just doesn't get the demand. He can't get a rep for flats if none of you order from him.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
wharfedalecarving

Hi Davey (and anyone else who maybe wondering),
I contacted Martin to ask if he is teamed up with the other pipe makers you mentioned or indeed anyone else. He most definately IS NOT and or plans to. He's his own man and works in isolation.
Thought you might be interested to know.
BTY, this Preshaw chanter of mine is getting even better! Finbar MacLaughlin (pipe maker from Derry) once told me years ago that "...you can tell when a chanter is right, you will feel every note vibrating through the tone hole onto the raised finger..." Well, he was right and this is happening now! :) :) :)
Joseph (the UK one).
gentlemanpiper

Post by gentlemanpiper »

are there any recordings available of martin preshaw's pipes (apart from the clip on his site)?
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

I have been playing since may 2002....had a practice set D from Martin that was great. Then I ordered a half set in D. Another great chanter that I play to this day. I also have a Gallagher full set. Although both chanters are sweet I often use the Preshaw chanter as it has the sound resonance of the Leo Rowsome ilk. Martin is a great pipemaker. I also have a C half set..the drones are magical sounding. The C chanter also has great tonality but I have suffered reed problems which MArtin has been working on. I know Martin personally having been subject of his hospitality and generosity. I personally think his D chanter is one of the top chanters to have. My opinion has been supported by the ears of more qualified pipers in the area.
jolyon
Location: Northeast Coast via Catterick Garrison via northeast coast UK

Post by jolyon »

It's nice to hear positive comments about pipe makers :) and although I haven't heard M Preshaws pipes, it's a name I'll put in my memory bank for any possible future chanter purchase.
Jolyon.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

wharfedalecarving/Joseph

PM sent to you !!

B
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I wonder if his chanters still have the totally straight bores with no pertubations.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
wharfedalecarving

Ausdag, I'm not sure about pertubations (what the ....are them ):-?
However, the following is a definate:
Good tone and resonance.
Good volume without being overpowering.
In tune in both octaves(very in tune actually) AND uses a tube staple :) .
Good crisp hard d and cran.
Excellent customer care and after sales service :)
Joseph (the UK one) :wink:
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

wharfedalecarving wrote:Ausdag, I'm not sure about pertubations (what the ....are them ):-?
However, the following is a definate:
Good tone and resonance.
Good volume without being overpowering.
In tune in both octaves(very in tune actually) AND uses a tube staple :) .
Good crisp hard d and cran.
Excellent customer care and after sales service :)
Joseph (the UK one) :wink:
Joseph,

Pertubations are variations in the internal dimensions of the bore which most people say are critical to good tuning. I remember a posting a while back by someone who had measuerd a Preshaw chanter and found it to be totally straight, yet it had marvelous tone and intonation.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ausdag wrote:Joseph,

Pertubations are variations in the internal dimensions of the bore which most people say are critical to good tuning.

Cheers,

DavidG
....*whew*!!! Here I thought it had something to do with... with.... awwwwwww nevermind....
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

ausdag wrote: Joseph,

Pertubations are variations in the internal dimensions of the bore which most people say are critical to good tuning. I remember a posting a while back by someone who had measuerd a Preshaw chanter and found it to be totally straight, yet it had marvelous tone and intonation.

Cheers,

DavidG
Close, but not exactly. The post was on 24 June 2004, in the thread called
Straight taper chanter bore

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#235180

It's well to remember that tone is a difficult thing to talk about, and usually the best we can offer is opinion.