Leather Flap/Valve Chatter... How do you fix it?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Islandpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

finally, a valve that works

Post by Islandpiper »

OK......after trying several leathers in my bellows, all leaking and all to no avail, I hit upon this.........

I took out the ebony valve-plug from the side of the bellow and removed all the old valve and hemp, and carefully "faced" the valve surface with a fine diamond stone. I suppose some 800-grit wet or dry paper on a glass plate might do it, too. Then, I likewise "faced" an ebony circle, of the right size to cover the valve-plug so that these really flat surfaces would mate accuratly. I glued a thin slip of leather to the little circle's outside, or back side, and left a tab to be tied into the hemp as usual. Now, installed with the valve flapper, the ebony circle, that is, hanging down properly, I finally have a vlave that works. Almost no backlash, almost zero "catch-up" time when I change motion from filling the bellows to szueezing the bellows......... and it is TIGHT, I mean it really seals..........and is airtight, finally.

Now, UP's can do this, no moisture, uniform hang-angle, etc....I expect long life from this little assembly. I have photos, and will post them when I can remember to bring the camera home from work.

Play on. Islandpiper
eric_smith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eric_smith »

Keith,
thanks for reporting the resolution of your problem. We rarely hear the outcome of requests for help.

Eric