Drone stock strap thingy...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Drone stock strap thingy...

Post by Jack Macleod »

I've seen many pipers use a strap around their left shoulder to keep the drone stock "up" a bit. What do you use? Anything work better for some people than others?

Any help is appreciated...Jack
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A thin leather strap or belt will work nicely... it has got to be able to fit around the stock, or in between the Bass Reg mount and the mainstock without displacing the mount or reg... yeah. Cut or adjust it to your prefered length, and you're off to the hills.
eric_smith

Post by eric_smith »

Typically refered to as a "shoulder strap", it is used to make it easier to access the regulators by lifting the set up and allowing you to move your shoulder to adjust their placement.

I use a thin (1/4") strip of leather. You can use a thin belt, but that might be too stiff. As you indicate, it goes around the stock only, where it ties into the bag.

Eric
Last edited by eric_smith on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

try a longer blowpipe? or a shorter one? I found it exceedingly difficult at first, but thru not using one I got it one day and it hasn't been a problem since...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
eric_smith

Post by eric_smith »

For the sake of completeness, I should mention that some pipers in the past would play the pipes standing up or leaning against something, and the strap simply keeps the pipes up.

Whether a shoulder strap is necessary or even helpful when playing regulators, there was a thread of couple of weeks ago on this. Best to search for that if you are interested in the arguments for and against.

Eric
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

eskin

Post by eskin »

I use a modified padded camera strap on my C set. Don't need one on my concert set.
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Paddy Keenan advised us to lower the point where the stock is tied into the bag, to get the regs futher down on your lap. This way you dont need to push up your shoulder too much, and the playing position should be more relaxed. If it works I dont know, I havent tried it.

But hey, it works for him... :D

Morten