Full set for Sale.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Full set for Sale.

Post by AlanB »

A Full Set by Dave Williams will be available for sale. Please email me for further details. Serious enquiries only please.

Alan
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Does it cost more than US$7250? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Does it cost more than US$7250? :D

djm
D' UH!!! :lol: :lol:
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Should point out that these are not my pipes. I will merely be passing an email add.,

Alan
kenr

Post by kenr »

djm, I would hope that the set does go for more than $7,250 - that's only about £4,000 in real money. Didn't a half set on the NPU site attract offers over £3,000 about a year ago?

Alan, those of us with a Williams set or two of our own would be interested to see what the valuation is - perhaps I'll send you a PM, it's not as if this set is on Ebay for all to see the bidding. I presume it's in D.

Ken
djm

Post by djm »

Kenr, don't getcher knickers in a knot. I was referring to the huff on a nearby thread over someone asking for a K&Q 3/4 set sans chanter for this amount. If they can't grasp that price, wait till they see how much a full set from a respected maker goes for.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

Alan,
Way cool web site.
Your camps look better than ours. Lovely scenery.
:o
Do you let Americans in?
:twisted:
Tell us more about this Williams set.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

What I would do for a Williams set, especially if it's a newer one! Ever since he started using Paddy Keenan's Rowsome chanter measurements, his chanters sound absolutely heavenly. Some of the most beautiful sounding pipes that man made. :cry: Completely worth whatever price is aked for them.

-Mike
kenr

Post by kenr »

djm,

sorry, I obviously don't read all the threads.

Ken
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Ever since he started using Paddy Keenan's Rowsome chanter measurements, his chanters sound absolutely heavenly. Some of the most beautiful sounding pipes that man made. :cry: Completely worth whatever price is aked for them.

-Mike
How long ago did he start using those measurements? I heard a Williams chanter the other night at a meeting but I think it was around 4-5 years old.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

ausdag wrote:
MikeyLikesIt wrote:Ever since he started using Paddy Keenan's Rowsome chanter measurements, his chanters sound absolutely heavenly. Some of the most beautiful sounding pipes that man made. :cry: Completely worth whatever price is aked for them.

-Mike
How long ago did he start using those measurements? I heard a Williams chanter the other night at a meeting but I think it was around 4-5 years old.
- Dave's chanters have been constantly evolving over the years. Steampackets 1982 D sounds and plays wonderful, and so does my own 2004 model. Even though they are very different internally. Mine is partially based on Paddys, but I had the choice between several different reamers, all with different characteristics....

A full Williams set is a bargain, no matter what the price is :D

/Morten
Piping Bulldog

Post by Piping Bulldog »

I believe Paddy's last chanter was a Koehler & Quinn boxwood chanter made from measurements of Paddy's own Rowsome chanter. The rest of the set was made by Dave Williams.
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Piping Bulldog wrote:I believe Paddy's last chanter was a Koehler & Quinn boxwood chanter made from measurements of Paddy's own Rowsome chanter. The rest of the set was made by Dave Williams.
True - he had a K&Q chanter made in boxwood to go with the Williams set. The original chanter is made from ebony, and Paddy apparently preferred the sound of boxwood....

/Morten
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I was referring to the huff on a nearby thread over someone asking for a K&Q 3/4 set sans chanter for this amount. If they can't grasp that price, wait till they see how much a full set from a respected maker goes for. " DJM

A Dave Williams full set in D is a different kettle of pipes - more or less priceless I'd guess :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Steampacket wrote:"I was referring to the huff on a nearby thread over someone asking for a K&Q 3/4 set sans chanter for this amount. If they can't grasp that price, wait till they see how much a full set from a respected maker goes for. " DJM

A Dave Williams full set in D is a different kettle of pipes - more or less priceless I'd guess :)
Sounds to me that this argument comes from more of a personal preference than of personal experience. Have a word with any of the 'world class' players out there that have had the experience of playing any number of K&Q sets, I think that you may find their opinion on the matter holds a little more water yours or mine.