What Are You Listening To Now?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by brianc »

I just picked up 2 CDs by Paddy Keenan... the first of which is "The Long Grazing Acre", which is on the player as I write this.

I'm only at Track 4, the set of reels "O'Rourke's, Spike Island Lasseis, Lord McDonald's".

:o :boggle: :o :boggle: :o :boggle: :) :) :o :boggle: :party: :) :o :boggle: :party: :) :lol: :o :party: :boggle: :) :D :o

How's that for a description?

Get this CD! It's a must have, and I can't believe I waited this long!

The 2nd CD is 'Ná Keen Affair' - more on that when I've heard it.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I like the Long Grazing Acre. Currently I am listening to Fort of Jewels by Brian MacNamara....mighty stuff!
glands

Post by glands »

The breeze of my computer processor cooling fan as read your post and I type this note.......

Seriously though, I'm revisiting old recordings I've made in Drumshanbo, other places in Ireland, and at various tionols. I must admit that I am astonished at how much more I hear in the music now that I've been playing and listening for over 7 years. You'll hear no argument from me regarding the notion of listening being as important as actually playing!
brianc

Post by brianc »

Doc,

It's interesting that you'd bring up listening to "old recordings".... I'm now listening to Track 8, the jigs "Sliabh Russell, Blarney Pilgrim, Clare Jig"...
in the liner notes Paddy says "these are jigs I've been playing for half a century, it seems!" And yet then he mentions that "Steve's (Housden) guitar brings a whole new feel to it again."

You know, the great part is, he's playing some fairly common tunes here, but they are just amazing in his style.

Man, this is inspirational stuff.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I've got O'Rourke's from that recording on my voice mail of the cell phone. It's a fun album that's for sure!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I was just watching the video from our Tionol that is posted on the So Cal Pipers site. Mick and Caoimhín playing Dennis Murphy's. One of the first fiddle tunes I learned off the Chieftains 4 (2???) album. I love their playing; the tunes just talk to me and some how connects. Really wonderful stuff.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

brianc wrote:
You know, the great part is, he's playing some fairly common tunes here, but they are just amazing in his style.

Man, this is inspirational stuff.
Common tunes, but very uncommonly played. I've listened to Blarney Pilgrim a bunch of times. I've played it with some fiddle players and they always look at me funny when I hold on to some of the notes-- like that's not the way its done...

Funny-I've had this discussion before with someone "younger" than myself. I keep telling him to go back to the early recordings of Keenan, The Chieftains to see where the music comes from. Keep going back and you can hear Leo Rowsome and the Dorans.

Good stuff
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Well, I just got back from work where I was listening to Brian McNamara, Dickie Deegan, Dervish, Brian McNeill, Bakerswell, and the Bothy Band. I've misplaced my copy of Long Grazing Acre - guess it's time to clean the room.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

The wind blowing through the hole in me roof caused by the storm.... :roll:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Much like Liam, the sound of the storm in the chimney, CD wise I listen To peadar O Loughlin and Maeve Donnelly's The Thing Itself a lot, Claire Keville and John Weir's An Tri as a Rian, PJ Crotty and James Cullinan's Happy to meet. Don't listen to a lot of piping anymore actually.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Ronan Browne- The Wynd Ye Know,
Declan Masterson - fairwater
Cran- lovers Ghost
Bruce Hornsby- Halcyon days
Richard Shindell- Vuelta

Just a small selection of what's been played recently
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Brian McNamara - Fort of the Jewels (Thanks JES mate)

BTW - are there any bands doing the arranged ballad thing a-la Bothy Band and Planxty or are those genres a thing of the past? Seems those two were the most influential in contemporary Irish music rather than the straight-down-the-line tunes bands. I learnt the art of patience playing in a group that tried to emmulate those cats - you know, preforming ballads where the piper sits and twiddles with his drone switch for 4 stanzas then comes in with a 16 bar 'riff' then sits and twiddles with same switch till the end of the song.

Had a hellava time trying to get tunes-only musos recruited who understood the concept of not-necessarily-playing-until-we-want-you-to-play-so-put-your-fiddle/flute-down-and-wait-till-the-3rd-verse-and-bridge/2nd-tune-the-drones-sound-for-16-bars-then-you-come-in concept of performance.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
morten

Post by morten »

Kitty lie over - as allways! The all time favourite album. Period. If you haven't allready got it, shame on you.

Other than that it's mostly older Paddy Keenan stuff, Willie Clancy, Seamus Ennis, Tommy Reck etc. And some of my own tionol recordings.

/Morten
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

morten wrote:Kitty lie over - as allways! The all time favourite album. Period. If you haven't allready got it, shame on you.

Other than that it's mostly older Paddy Keenan stuff, Willie Clancy, Seamus Ennis, Tommy Reck etc. And some of my own tionol recordings.

/Morten
Lately, I have been beginning my day while listening to Kitty Lie Over, puts me in a great frame of mind. It is fast becomming one of my favorite recordings! Someday, it may even replace the Johnboy and Billy, Big Show on the Radio. :D :D
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Keenan really rock 's indeed. Now listening M.Dunne "Legacy", Calico's both records, Pipers rock collection,Masterson's tropical trad.,Barrys "mind the pipes"(really good one).