Sad news - Dave Williams

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

tommyfegan

Dave

Post by tommyfegan »

Dave was held in the higest regard amongst his friends at the Armagh Pipers Club. On Monday last 6 of us were playing after the classes, and 4 of us had Williams' sets. He was always a gentleman, accommodating and just a hell of a nice guy. And he made the best pipes you could ever wish for. Our thought are with his family now
Go ndeanadh Dia trocaire ar a anam
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The bell tolls for all of us. Sad news.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

I can't believe it. :( We talked for quite a long time on the phone about a year ago And I remember thinking what a real gentleman he was. My sincerest condolences and prayers go out to the Williams family.

-Paul
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

Its a huge loss - immeasurable really. Obviously for his family and friends, but also on a much wider scale, his knowledge and skills were one in a million. To be blessed with that and to be such a decent and downright nice bloke is rare indeed. His loss leaves a huge gap.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

My condolances to Mr. Williams' family and friends. I have read nothing but good things about the man.
morten
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

I don't know what to say. This is very very sad.

I spoke to him frequently this last year, and was going to visit him in january. A great man and a great pipemaker. Every time I pick up the chanter he made for me I'll think of him.

Rest in peace Dave. You will be sorely missed.

Morten
Joe McHugh

Sad news - Dave Williams

Post by Joe McHugh »

Great Man, Great Pipemaker, Deep Deep Loss

Joe
ffrench

Dave Williams

Post by ffrench »

Dave's death really is a huge loss to all who knew him. Dave was to be the resident reed maker for this year's William Kennedy Piping Festival in Armagh. His absence will be sorely felt by all.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I was very saddened to hear this terrible news. I never met Dave Williams but I certainly did admire his fine work. He is an immense loss to the world of Uilleann Piping and an even greater loss to his good friends and family.
I wish his family strength and courage through this time.

Tommy
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I remember seeing Dave's stuff in the Lark in the Morning catalog: "The best pipes we've seen," and wondering what they were like. Over the years I've never heard anybody describe him as anything but a gent and very helpful to one and all.
Also when I saw Paddy Keenan at the Alberta Street the pipes were just sitting on the stage. Paddy didn't have to tune up at all. The hop shaped tuning pins weren't something you'd see every day. Or the fellow with the metal regulator caps. Great stuff - you'd almost detect a sense of humour in it.
craigh

Post by craigh »

Terrible news about Dave. I never met him but had talked with him on the phone several times and he was always pleasant and generous with his time. I have a practice set that he made and the chanter is just fabulous. He was making a set of drones for me and I was looking forward to the day when I could fly over and actually meet him in person. Rest in peace Dave...
james moran

Post by james moran »

very sad news
deepest sympathies
Marc van Daal

Post by Marc van Daal »

Very sad news , and a terrible loss of craftmenship .
My deepest sympathy and condolances to Mr. Williams family and friends .

Marc van Daal
jim horan

The sad news

Post by jim horan »

This is the worst possible news. Dave was a wonderful human being as well as a maker of the most beautidul pipes. His legacy will live on through all the lucky people who own and play his instruments.
I feel very privileged to have known Dave. He was a good friend - I will really miss him.
Jim Horan