New Piper-Jareth Henderson

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
morten
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Full set from Dave Williams - allmost identical to Brian Vallely's. They got them both in 2002. A real beauty in Stainless steel and ebony.

Se them both here:

http://www.uilleann.nl/pipes/pictureGal ... index.html

Morten
Evertjan 't Hart

Post by Evertjan 't Hart »

morten wrote:Full set from Dave Williams - allmost identical to Brian Vallely's. They got them both in 2002. A real beauty in Stainless steel and ebony.

Se them both here:

http://www.uilleann.nl/pipes/pictureGal ... index.html

Morten
Jarlath was over for the Dutch Tionol in 2002 and he let me try out his new Williams set. Ofcourse a very fine instrument as you can expect from Dave Williams. But it was different from my own Williams and I maybe even better. Jarlath told me that Dave had changed his bore design recently. I wonder if the fact that Williams made a copy of Paddy Keenan's Crowley/Rowsome set had anything to do with this bore change.
Anyone knows?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Pipemakers have been modeling/copying/measuring the pipes of Paddy Moloney, Liam O'Flynn, and Paddy Keenan for many years. Great players end up with great instruments or do great players make good instruments sound great (or all of the above)?

All three played Leo Rowsome D chanters for many years.
morten

Post by morten »

Dave uses several different bore designs, it depends on what characteristics you want from your chanter.

When I ordered my D chanter, I originally wanted a copy of Jarlath's, but it turned out that the reamer was so worn that he had to compensate with rushes, so I decided to go with the one he used on Brians set. A little smoother and quieter sound apparently.

I believe he will make a new reamer with similar measurements as the worn one. But in the end, whatever you get from Dave is absolutely top notch.

Morten
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

listened to his full set and the awards; Madame Boneparte was entrancing- so how does he do the arpegio runs???
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I know, those hornpipes were incredible. Prodigies make me jealous. I've been playing piano for 13 years and i geuss I'm pretty good. But relatively speaking Jarleth leaves me in the dust when it comes to playing. We'll definitely be hearing a lot more from this one in the future.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Morten, I brought it up in an earlier thread, but by the look of your new avatar, I feel even more conviced.....your little girl is going to be a piper! :D
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Jarleth may be appearing at the Chris Langan Weekend in Toronto, Jan 2005. Promised but not confirmed yet.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Any idea of a speciffic date? I ought to be on break from school about then and was planning a trip to Thunder Bay to visit my sister.....a road trip East from there could be doable.
djm

Post by djm »

Joseph, do you have any idea how far Thunder Bay is from Toronto? Do you have any concept of driving conditions in January up there at -25C? You might be able to fly in, but you sure won't be driving. I doubt the highways north of Lake Superior will even be open if the wind cuts up.

Chris Langan is usually the third weekend in January, or there abouts. They have not updated their web site, yet. I'll keep you posted, and please take care of those suicidal tendencies. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

I grew up in Duluth Minnesota, lived in International Falls for a number of years....and yes, I am aware of the distance from Thunder Bay to Toronto.
Davey

Yep

Post by Davey »

..yep Canadian roads are not* American roads.....man oh man is there a difference! I made the mistake of using the trans canada highway to get to Vermont last year.....UGH!
morten

Post by morten »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Morten, I brought it up in an earlier thread, but by the look of your new avatar, I feel even more conviced.....your little girl is going to be a piper! :D
Well - better that than a death-metal-singer..........

I'll have to see if I can find a nice little F-chanter for her tiny fingers :lol:

Morten
Joseph E. Smith

Morten:"Well - better that than a death-metal-singer.......... "
===============================================

........Heaven forbid. :lol: