Ebony Vs Blackwood

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
liestman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

Well, that is why I divided my post into the "fact" part and the "what I think" part. The "fact" part is true, the "think" part is debateable of course.

Maybe a chanter made out of WD40 - that would be really smooth! ;-)
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Bill, where do you stand on the tone issue?
Whilst different chanters obviouslyhave different tonal qualities, I think we have entered the domain of Belief Systems when we try to explain why. Sorry, I forgot my self earlier and almost forgot my pledge not to enter into religious arguments
:D
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Isn't it also possible for a glass flute to have a bore that is not smooth? A surface such as achieved by grinding (think of your vingegar cruet) would probably not be as smooth as one might like to see on the inside of a blackwood flute.

(Actually, I'm only posting to take advantage of the fact that Bill H and I have exactly the same total number of posts at the moment, not because I have anything constructive to add to the discussion. That's as good a reason as some I've seen.)
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

Well, I thought we did.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

billh:"I think we have entered the domain of Belief Systems when we try to explain why. Sorry, I forgot my self earlier and almost forgot my pledge not to enter into religious arguments".
===============================================

...quite right, I got a little carried away (but I keep escaping). Someday, when a new world dawns, when man and universe are at peace with themselves and each other, we may have a difinitive answer. Until then, I'll be happy to wallow and pontificate blissfully in my ignorance.
:D

David, how long have you been at 82 posts?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

DMQuinn wrote:Isn't it also possible for a glass flute to have a bore that is not smooth? A surface such as achieved by grinding (think of your vingegar cruet) would probably not be as smooth as one might like to see on the inside of a blackwood flute.
You may be right. But surley Claude Laurent, who made these glass flutes
in the mid 1800's, could figure out a way to polish them. Seems that would
be the easy step.
billh

Post by billh »

Lorenzo wrote:
DMQuinn wrote:Isn't it also possible for a glass flute to have a bore that is not smooth? A surface such as achieved by grinding (think of your vingegar cruet) would probably not be as smooth as one might like to see on the inside of a blackwood flute.
You may be right. But surley Claude Laurent, who made these glass flutes
in the mid 1800's, could figure out a way to polish them. Seems that would
be the easy step.
I think David's point might have been (forgive me David for butting in here;-)) that a perfectly smooth bore need not be the goal. i.e. "glass == smooth" isn't necessarily true.

*IF* we accept the premise (just for argument) that a significant part of tonal differences in chanters is due to wall smoothness, that doesn't mean that every listener will prefer the smoothest possible wall.