Straight taper chanter bore

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Aaaah, that would explain the somewhat diminshed state of my cerebral...uh...umm..never mind. :D
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

On a related subject ,I,ve read here some people stressing the importance of the bore being very smooth even highly polished.
I will readily admit I would not be the best judge in the world but the chanter I have which has a sweet tone has a bore that is far from smooth

It seems the only rule in uilleann pipe constrution is that there are no rules
(well OK maybe a few)

RORY
Last edited by rorybbellows on Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giles b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giles b »

you are right, David, about there being a whole bunch of fctors that make up an instrument (up chanter in this case) and about not dismissing chanters purely because of the shape of the inside of them.

There will always be instruments of different quality.

I think that it is always good to know where one is coming from in order to really know where one is going.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Not that I know anything about the subject...and trust me, I don't...but it would seem that a smoother, polished bore would produce a crisper, clearer, brighter tone... wouldn't it?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Isn't the up chanter a primitive oboe attached to a bag?

The oboe doesn't have a straight conical bore, does it? Do any oboe players here know?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

....The oboe doesn't have a straight conical bore, does it?....
Some do. It depends on the design.
http://www.mmimports.com/oboes.cfm
DMQuinn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DMQuinn »

The use of the word "phrenologically" was a nod of my bumpy head to Craig Fischer's article on the complexities of the bore, which appeared in the Seattle Irish Pipers' Club Review some years back under the title "Phrenology." He explains his use of the term in the article.

More information on the uilleann pipes of a technical nature has been made available in the Pipers' Review than in any other single publication, and I count the NPU journal, Ceol na hEireann, and the Sean Reid Society journal among the pool. I don't mean to take anything away from any of those estimable publications, but anyone really serious about finding out what research has already been done (perhaps with a view to avoiding having to re-invent your wheels) should be looking at all of them. Copies of ALL of the back issues of the Seattle magazine are available, and represent really good value for money. Subscribe. Contact the editor.

(I have no financial interest in the IPC Review, but they do tell me I am on the board of editors.)
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

fancypiper wrote:Isn't the up chanter a primitive oboe attached to a bag?

The oboe doesn't have a straight conical bore, does it? Do any oboe players here know?
Every one I've ever played did.