Yet another pipe case question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

:lol: I guess that living in a culture where one drives everywhere causes me not to think in those terms. I have been taught to do your tuning and set-up before you leave the house, so I have a case big enough that I can throw the whole thing in as is, and then pull them out nearly ready to go. Naturally there is some further adjustment as the reeds warm up through playing.

djm
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Ahem.

Cars suck. Ride your bike.

You'll be grateful for keeping your case light when you're biking to a session. The ride home's always fun, too.

I can't imagine carrying something that looks like it could safely house a small thermonuclear device. My pipemaker suggested making something tubular.(Totally.) I think that's a great idea.

It'd only have to be slightly longer than your set, you could either just slip the pipes in (with proper padding of course) or you could cut the tube in half lengthways, slap some hinges on one side and voila! An excellent case.

Most cases that I've seen conform to the shape of the instrument, but we seem to put a round instrument in a square case, causing child psychologists no amount of headaches. It doesn't help with the instrument's safety much, either.

For soft-shell cases I have a Ritter trumpet bag that's surprisingly strong for a soft case, and my practice set fits in there just nice and gilfilliterpookity.

I'm going to be picking up my pipes in about two weeks (yippee!!) and as i trust WestJet about as far as I can comfortably spit a rat I'll be carrying the half-set with me, which means something soft-shelled. The Ritter cases are cheap, too. And round.

My 2 cents worth,

Mark
two wheels good, four wheels bad. Ride yer bike.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Tripod cases work great, too. They are mostly available in durable nylon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 55220&rd=1
Last edited by Jim McGuire on Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

The tubular pipe case sounds interesting and very do-able. I have seen these homemade for toting archery kits and fishing rods. Probably lots o' plans on the net. Yer man used to carry his first set in a soft gun case, with the bellows stuck in the outer pocket. Cycling from here to Toronto and back is not an option. :D

djm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Nick Adams used to stick them in a golf bag didn't he?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Joe McKenna traveled with one made from PVC tubing. He cut it to length, capped the ends, hinged an opening in the tubing, added a over-shoulder carry strap. It worked!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

At the Florida Tionlo this last FEB, Orbis let me play his Childress set fresh out of the 'blue coffin' on the Friday evening before classes. It was 98% in tune, the bass drone just needed a slight tuning. My playing, on the other hand........... :shock:
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Jim McGuire wrote:Joe McKenna traveled with one made from PVC tubing. He cut it to length, capped the ends, hinged an opening in the tubing, added a over-shoulder carry strap. It worked!
Haw! That was exactly my idea, PVC cheap, plentiful and only more or less poisonous. (Just don't breathe when cutting it.)

Joe had also suggested making a case out of leather, I thought about boiling leather (I used to know folks in the SCA who made armour 'in the traditional way') which would look kinda cool and would be pretty easy to waterproof. Oh, Joe said a telescope case was a possibility as well. I'm looking around for them now.

Later,
Mark
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

We're not done with cases yet... are we??

The interior dimensions are:
Length – 44 1/2"
Width 11 1/2"
Depth 11 1/2"

$69.95

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item. ... ID=1142612
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I really liked the looks and size of that case. However, 40 pounds? Is the thing lead lined? It's true, I have the strength of five men, but this case sounds too unwieldy. And forget about the overhead bin on any flight you might take.

t
Last edited by tommykleen on Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

It would be a great session case. Carry it to a pub session and hand out instruments as people ask for their favorite one.