Electronic uilean chanters.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

LA Scotts is a very good band. I used to play highland pipes in a rock band too. I have played at the Roxy several times as well as many other local LA clubs.

That was before I had kids though.
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Douglas,
Very cool! Where in California are you? Which pipe bands have you played in. I've been playing in So Cal for 32 years. What was the name of your rock band? I find myself very interested in non-highland piping now.

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
djm

Post by djm »

Douglas wrote:That was before I had kids though.
I'll bet your wife was surprised! :D

djm
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Jeff, I live in Mission Viejo (South Orange County) very good location for me since I decided to take up the U.P.'s. I have played the GHP's for 18 years. I used to play in a Christian rock band called "Return".

I have actually avoided the Pipe Band thing. I have always had way too many interests to allow me to focus on a pipe band, at least a good one like yours. Tommy Reoch was asking me to join with him about 10 years ago. But they practice so far away from me.

Jimmy McCall was the first one to reed my pipes, by the way.

I actually got together with the San Clemente Scots a couple of years ago. Nice people and very low-key. But my daughter had her ice skating practice at the same time and she 1) wanted dad at practice, 2) she wanted to go (she loves the pipes), and 3) her brother got to go with me. I would actually like to get back together with them just to keep me in practice (I am way out of practice at this time).

I enjoy the less ridged mentality that surrounds the U.P.'s, though.

Yes djm she was, it was very painful for me though. I don't think I'll do it again. My hips have gotten so big.