Electronic uilean chanters.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I wasn't talking about that type of bag............................

Alan
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Marc,

I could never pin them down on the price.

I do also believe that you have to squeeze the instrument to turn it "on"
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

WannabePiper wrote:The guy from Gaelic Storm plays a Deger on their compilation CD. Sounds kinda nifty.
Was it a deger? I saw them in concert at the Birchmere in Virginia and it was a techno-chanter.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Gunnar wrote:
WannabePiper wrote:The guy from Gaelic Storm plays a Deger on their compilation CD. Sounds kinda nifty.
Was it a deger? I saw them in concert at the Birchmere in Virginia and it was a techno-chanter.
Said right in the liner notes of "Special Reserve" that it was a Deger.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I just bought that album yesterday :) Although the live performance one they used was very tiny. And my Deger is on order :) Should have it in a few days.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Hey, Gunnar. Could you post a review after you get the Deger? I'd like to hear about it and I bet others would too. Thanks.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Yeah, will do. I bought it from Song of the Sea. http://www.songsea.com/electronic.html

Cheapest place ($425). Although the offical bag for it can be found for half the price at Tartantown http://216.71.156.105/product1004.html ($15.50). It's funny that they use the ST: Deepspace 9 font for the offical Deger logo. (It's on the bag)

Do you know of any other songs that use an electric bagpipe besides Gaelic Storm's Special Reserve and that cheesy CD "Keltic Electrik 2?"

I fell in love with that techno-chanter they used on-stage, but decided on the Deger after I found out that the Fagerström's Techno-chanter doesn't drone (or midi). Too bad the deger has to be as big as it is though. The power of a Deger in the size of the Techno-chanter would be wonderful.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Gunnar, you're going to have a lot of fun with the Deger chanter. It's worth it.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Jeff Cullen

Electronic Chanter/Pipes

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I bought a set from Version Midi about two years ago. Until you've played them, it is impossible to see how beautifully engineered, produced and executed this thing is. They really have thought of everything. Hand generated depth programmable vibrato, note bending, a trigger at the bottom of the chanter to produce staccato, full chromatic scale and you can specify whatever fingering you like, even make up your own. Mutliple octaves, change octaves by squeezing the bag. Play in any key in any octave without even changing fingering. And the sound... nothing short of phenomenal. It's a midi controller you play through a sampler and the samples they provide are exquisite, and you can buy commercially available samples that also have incredible tone with all of the great overtones and nuances you could imagine. The price is commensurate with the quality...it was over $5k US and worth double of that. In addition, the people who make it are patient and great to deal with. After ordering it, I went to Spain to get it so I could learn how to use it first-hand. I've never been happier with anything I've ever purchased. In my opinion, to build something better would be impossible. I've been playing Highland Pipes for 32 years (sorry, not Uilleann Pipes) and it's really nice to be able to have other instrument sounds at my fingertips.

Just thought you'd like to know...hope this helps.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

....oh, and I've been playing a Deger as well for about five years and I've found it indespensable for practicing, especially when I'm travelling. For a time, I played it through a Fender Twin amp with some reverb, distortion, delay and phasing and it has a very cool sound.
Jeff Cullen
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

What is the secret getting into the Version Midi website?
http://www.versionmidi.com/
Do you need to send them an e-mail first to register?
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I don't know...I just e-mail Alberto Arias when we exchange info. Try him at info@versionmidi.com
Jeff Cullen
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I have been thinking of getting a Deger for several years. It has to sound better than the practice chanter. They have had many versiouns of these electronic pipes for over twenty years but the Deger seems to be a really well designed instrument.
marcpipes

Re: Electronic Chanter/Pipes

Post by marcpipes »

Jeff Cullen wrote:. The price is commensurate with the quality...it was over $5k US and worth double of that.
Ouch! I'd like to have one, but I have trouble buying n instrument that is worth more than my car. Of course that means I can't buy a tin whistle these days. :lol: Jeff, is there a way you could post some samples on the Clips and Snips section? We'd all love to hear what this can do.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I know what you mean...that's some serious coin. I don't know what kind of Uilleann pipe that would buy, but it would just about buy one of the nicest Highland pipes that there is. So there's a clips section? I'll make a couple of sound files this weekend and get them posted. Just remember that I'm a Highland piper and I've no pretense saying that these are a replacement for Uilleann pipes. This is just another open avenue of music. Imagine taking all that hard work you put into the fingering that you know and then being able to play electric guitar lines or bass, sax, fiddle etc. or create new sounds like Northumbrian Smallpipes with distortion, delay and reverb on it. I'm not saying that there's a market for this music, but after playing in pipe bands (the LA Scots was my last band) I now play in a Celtic Rock band (Stand Easy) and the rules have changed. Now instead of 25 guys standing in a circle trying not to blow it we do what we want and write and express what we want without a guy with a clipboard telling us what we're doing wrong. Of course you Uilleann pipers have had that going for you all along.
Best Regards,
Jeff
Jeff Cullen