Regulator Playing Poll

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

How much do you play the regulators?

Don't have any
47%
Don't use them at all
No votes
Rarely use them
13%
Primarily for sustained chords or notes
18%
Primarily for timekeeping
No votes
Sustained chords or notes and timekeeping
22%

Total votes: 45

Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Of course you do! Actually, the above version isn't that hard to play as written, but throw in a bunch of extra tight triplets, turn the drones on, and strike a chord on every offbeat, while falling asleep, smoking, day-dreaming, and talking to the bartender all at the same time...now that should keep you busy, damn ye. :D
djm

Post by djm »

No argument. Paddy K can rattle them off with the best.

djm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:
Bonk

Very functional sounding music!
Wasn't he great and a typical piper, he spent a fortune on getting himself at least a square meter of regulator keys to sit on his lap and then he only farted that low G on the end of each phrase. Brilliant, maximum instrument, minimalism for music.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Lorenzo wrote: Try playing it yourself, and I mean fast...with tight closed hole fingering like I heard Paddy playing it last year. (pssssst...and don't miss any notes, or cheat on the octaves) :wink:
Bar 1 of B part. Replace 3 quaver As with quaver a, 2 semiquaver As,quaver A. Tap em, don't cut 'em... GGGrrrrrr (Don't forget to put some feeling into it whilst doing it)........

Alan
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Saw Michael Eskin yesterday at the SCUPC http://www.socalpipers.com meeting with his new Kirk Lynch tenor and baritone regs. They sounds really good with the rest of his Lynch set.

Patrick.
Hi Patrick,

Missed you and Joey at the Santa Monica session on Sunday but I had a good time anyway. At least one piper showed up there. (Not counting Kate and myself). :P
Too bad I didn't make it to the meeting, sounds like you guys had fun.

Justine
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

I don't have any regs but I love to play them!
wydeboar

Post by wydeboar »

Interesting, Lorenzo:

Isn't that tune the Harvest Home hornpipe?

Typically for a championship hormpipe at a feis it would be way slow (like 113 at 2/4) - half the speed of a reel.

He must have really shoveled on the coal - played it like a reel. Flatley was probably doing his own hybrid kind of steps as well.
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Is it naughty to post up sounds of 'field' recordings you have made?
I have a perfect example of what Lorenzos talking about

Alan

I notice the poll went from 50% don't have to 48% don't have, load of orders received today was it???
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Absolutely not, Alan. Please go for it. We have been waiting for it for years. And yes, I like the pat triplet on the A note. The reed has to be just right to stay in the right octaves though. :wink:

Wydeboar, the tune may be played here in the US more so than in Ireland or GB, I don't know. Here, I've played it with many other people at reel speed. Last year, when Paddy introduced it at his concert, it caught my attention, since I'd played it for years anyway, and how different he played it from his normal open style. I think that 3/4 or more of the tune was tight closed hole, and at reel tempo. That's when he mentioned playing it for Flatley.

And yes, it is listed as Harvest Home in O'Neill's, but often called the Cincinnati HP around the US. I'm sure it must have other names as well.
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Let's see if this works! Remember I am only just learning about web things.....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/carngalver/HarvestHome.mp3

Alan
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

That was great! Sounded like Patsy T. When he (you?) came to the B part I started laughing, I couldn't believe what I was hearing...I mean that in a good way. Truely impressive! I can see I have my work cut out for me.
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

NNoooooooooo! That's not me! It's PK.

Alan
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The thought did cross my mind...the style sounded familiar and everything, but a little more open than I remembered from PK. I want to hear a clip of you, Alan! :D
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Patsy Touhey and other pipers in America called this technique "backstitching." We yabbled about it here already I think. Patsy's recording of it is in the Mitchell/Small book. He doesn't stitch on this tune, though, or play the regulators; in the preface to the book they suggest it might be a special record for a learner.
Tom Busby passed on the term backstitching, from his teachers Michael Carney and Tom Morrison, both friends of Touhey's. Morrison made a good many records playing the flute, one of his recorded tunes is called "The Piper's Backstitch." Wonder what tune that is! BSing was also discussed on the Uilleann pipes mailing list years ago; Bill Ochs wrote a nice little article summarizing it all for the Pipers' Review. Paddy's been playing this arrangement at least since the late 70's. Todd Denman said in the mailing list discussion that he asked Paddy if he ever heard the term backstitching. "Nope!" Don't know what Paddy calls it, if anything. Blipping. The Harvest Home was also recorded in the early 40's by the Westmeath/Belfast piper R.L. O'Meally, who called it the Cork Hornpipe - another name for this tune - complete with stitching in the same place. Perhaps Paddy heard a dub of this record and swiped O'Meally's playing.
Rick

Post by Rick »

* deleted for lack of difference *
Last edited by Rick on Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.