Japan Pipers Club (wishful thinking?)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bouli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Japan Pipers Club (wishful thinking?)

Post by Bouli »

Hi guys, decided to come out of lurk mode :D I've noticed that the aule Japanese contingent on the board is growing a wee bit so was wondering if all you lads and lasses in the land of the falling yen would be interested in getting together for a mini tionol somewhere?
Right so, well the idea is out there now, let the fish bite!

Pol MacFionmhacain,
Yamagata
Felix

Post by Felix »

A tionol in Japan would be great indeed. Do you already have an idea of the place and the date or are you waiting for suggestions?
innerhand
antispam: No

Pipers Meeting in Japan

Post by innerhand »

Hi Bouli!

Do you now the website "Midnight Walker" in Japan?
http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/midnightwalker/

Lots of Japanese piper (including the earliest piper in japan) are changing infromation,dicussing about topics such as reed making in this message board and we are just now plannning to have a pipers meeting in may.I think that about 6 or 7 uilleann piper and some other piper(GHP)will join.
I hope that it will be a chance to organize a pipers club in Japan.
Most of the members live in Kansai area(I'm in Tokyo)so the place will
probably be in Kansai or Shizuoka.

Please send me a private message and lets talk about that! and it will
be a great pleasure to meet all of you!
Oh! I've already met Felix! How are you doing Felix!
Last edited by innerhand on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tok

Post by tok »

Big bamboo !! Tiki tourch your pipes for free,, :lol:
:party: , bring your own sushi ,, and saki ,,
tune pipes under the temple bell ?? not a bad Idea .
:wink:,,
tok .
:)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Innerhand:
I'm busy, but fine, thank you.
You will surely have one more piper for your meeting in May: I will do my best to join it. Please post more infos when you will know the exact place and dates. I will lurk to the BBS of the website you gave the link (thank you for that) but I may miss some informations as I cannot read kanji well.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Damn...I spend more than two years in this country with no contact with any other pipers at all and you guys get this great idea right before I leave?! (I'm leavin' at the end of March after the school year's over.) That sucks! Zannen ya naa... Oh well. I do hope some sort of piper's club gets off the ground here and as I will very likely be returning to Japan in the future, maybe I'll join y'all some other time.

Mata,

CD
Bouli

Post by Bouli »

Oban de gozaimasu!
Nice to know that there are few of us here, (I've been here for four years now!)
A few of have just started an unofficial gethering here in Yamagata every fortnight. Kansai hmm, well boys I think you guys need to get out of the city and head up here to wonderful Tohoku sometime! :D There are plenty of nice spots for a tionol, hint hint, coupled with onsen a plenty!
Seriously though, anyone heading up this way, give me a bell and we'll sort something out.
Mata
Pol.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Hmmm....wish I could make myself some functionable reeds to join... Well, Ive a working bagwhistle here. but it doesn't count as a set o' pipes, does it? :lol:

>Sporting
Ah you're leaving? but before you go, don't forget to busk right in front of Nova or ECC so that you'll get some enthusiastic students, ready to invest ernestly for the pipes! Tokyo-Geijutsu Uni or Osaka Uni of Music might work, too.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

No, no. There will be no tionoil in the onsens. Bad for the reeds...Much as I wish I could say otherwise, piping and stark-naked waterplay do not go well together.

Tak--Do you still go to any sessions around Osaka or Kyoto? I still might try to make it to one before I go. Busking in front of NOVA or ECC?! Seeing as how people pay so much for English lessons there, I don't know how they could possibly have money left over for a set of pipes! Besides, the NOVA Usagi scares the living sh*t outta me...
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

>Sporting
no, not recently...been busy at evenings. but you might want to sound-check with ken when you do come over to Kyoto "The Field". :)
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
eskin

Post by eskin »

Are they still keeping an on-line diary of the behavior of the participants at The Field session in Kyoto? I was there with a friend a few years ago and was quite amazed to find that we had been "written up" for starting too many tunes... Who wants to deal with that kind of stuff?

Sure are a lot of great players in the Kansai area... I had the great fortune of being in Kyoto for the Takeshima Irish music festival last year. Had a wonderful night of sessions outside under a covered patio area in the middle of a huge rainstorm...

Hopefully, I'll be back in Japan this October, maybe play again with Peter Damachek at Finnegan's Pub in Universal Studios Japan, Osaka...

Cheers,

Michael
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

>David
That's too bad! I wanted to see you and your lovely set. Please don't
forget to contact me when you comeback.

>Michael
Why does good piper always go to Kansai? Please come to Tokyo!!!!!!!
I've played with Mr.Peter recently,great guitar player,singer,fiddler.

Makoto
TomC

Post by TomC »

I will be in Japan in early April, doing a short tour with Johnny B. Connolly and Aidan Brennan. Johnny is a great young accordeon player and Aidan is a wonderful guitar-player and singer. This is a first visit for Johnny and Aidan. I've been over a few times with the band, "The Suffering Gaels". Although a lot of our gigs will be in the Kansai region, we will also be in Tokyo for a few days. Hope to meet a few pipers along the way.

Regards,
Tom Creegan

tomcreegan@lycos.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hi Tom, and welcome.

Pipes and accordian eh? That should be a lot of fun. I thought you were a pipes and banjo kinda guy! :wink: Anyway, I'd like to hear that. Aidan and Johnny come through town here about once a year and blow us all away. They had a fiddler once, some gal, and that was a treat. I hope to hear you guys if you do any tours around the NW. I emailed this pic to Aidan, he said it was good...they didn't have any of them smiling.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

TomC!

Wow! the TomC of Suffering Gaels? The Cd "IRISH DANCE MUSIC AND
SONG" is one of my favorite and my most favorite group music with pipes.
I started playing pipes after your last visit so I still don't have a chance to
hear you play live.
Plese let us know when the date and places are clear!

Looking forward to meet you

Makoto