Brian Howard Concert Pitch Chanter on ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Brian Howard Concert Pitch Chanter on ebay

Post by daveboling »

I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

mmm' I see the chimney sweep has left his brush stuck up it. :wink: 8)
tok
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tok »

nice chanter for the pub . It rocks the house , and why be shy (?) , then people at the far end of the pub can hear it . That blasts out the ball game .:) . Nice open tone holes , gives room for tuning the beastie. In Rousomes tutor , it mentions using a wire for the regulators ,, AND the chanter for tuning :). Good to see a pic of the reed too .
tom . taking up harp till my arm heals ,, . :)
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Stew, just looked at the pictured on e-bay. What are you on about? It's a mystery to me.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The rush is fairly obvious inside isn't it? Also note the typical Howard tiny e hole. No problem if you never plan to play an off the knee E.
leaky_joe

Post by leaky_joe »

Peter Laban wrote: Also note the typical Howard tiny e hole. No problem if you never plan to play an off the knee E.
It does say its an older model. My experience of Howard chanters is that they play a perfect E off the knee. If this one has a problem Im sure the maker would endevour to rectify it.

I can't understand the continual critisism of Howards pipes. There are several sets round here from the older models to the latest developments, and they all sound pretty good to me. In fact the're better than my Rowsome set and the back-up that Mr Howard gives to his customers is absolutely brilliant. I for one am saving up for a set of my own, so if anybody wants to make me an offer for my Rowsome (Leon) half set I'll place my order straight away. I understand he keeps chanters in stock!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

leaky_joe wrote: my Rowsome (Leon) half set I'll place my order straight away.
That last bit explains a lot :D

Seriously though, is remarking on the very small hole there something like ongoing critisism? I played Heather Clarke's chanter once and it blatantly refused to play an E off the knee. It's very simple, this is a very wide bored chanter with very big holes, you need a fairly strong vibration to drive that, suddenly there's this tiny hole which just refuses to sufficiently vent the vibration inside the chanter. Has he rectified it in his later design, fair play to him but don't make it sound like remarking on this is a campaign of unjustified critisism.
leaky_joe

Post by leaky_joe »

Well the Rowsome pipes might not be very good, but they were the best i could afford. As far as the E hole is concerned surely off the knee would vent just fine through the bottom of the chanter. I've heard Heather Clarke's wide bore played fine off the knee, but then again reeds sometimes do not always perform at there best. As far as I know, this design hasn't been in production since 1984, but as far as I'm aware MR Howard's policy would be to sort it if it wasnt right. I just feel sorry for the seller who now has a "suspect" chanter whith no evidence other than it looks like it may be out of tune. This may put off a potential buyer of a perfectly good instrument.
teirw

Post by teirw »

You might notice Mr Laban's 1744 posts.Just can't stop.Even if it's to call him Motormouth!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

leaky_joe wrote:....I just feel sorry for the seller who now has a "suspect" chanter whith no evidence other than it looks like it may be out of tune. This may put off a potential buyer of a perfectly good instrument.
What we say here has little or no effect on eBay auctions. Take for example, the number of middle eastern sets that get resold.

teirw wrote:You might notice Mr Laban's 1744 posts.Just can't stop.Even if it's to call him Motormouth!
What comes out of the mouth of Mr. Laban is experience. If you don't believe me, start a poll and ask the folks on C&F if they appreciate his input or not.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

jesus Tony look at your postcount, you're even more suspect than I am :D
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I think what's said here occasionally has a direct impact on ebay sales. Though of course there are exceptions.

How much are you selling your Leon Rowsome set for? I'm sure there'd be someone interested..

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Well, I was going to avoid making any comments seeing how I am the one selling the chanter in question, but... :D
When I orginally bought the chanter it had a plastic reed that worked very well - for a plastic reed. Alan B. was kind enough to make a reed for me without ever having the chanter in his hands, and it played great right out of the box, even better after about 10-20 hours of playing. Many thanks to him.
Benedict Kohler added a bit of thread to the bottom of the staple to bring the reed out of the instrument a little, and the "chimney sweep" rush at a tionol last year at Glands house (thanks for having us, can I come back? :) ). It brought the chanter into good tune and hasn't changed since.
As to off the knee playing, I have no trouble getting the low E to speak clearly coming from just about any note including from on-knee to off-knee combinations. Keep in mind that I have only been playing about 18 months, so some jumps (on or off the knee) still don't always work, but I haven't found one yet that I could blame anything other than my technique. As to the level of sound, it is a wide bore chanter but after a minor bridle adjustment six months ago, it wouldn't quite merit the coveted title of "banjo killer".
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Every stick should be a banjo killer..

Anyone ever play dueling pipes? :)

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Peter Laban wrote:
leaky_joe wrote: my Rowsome (Leon) half set I'll place my order straight away.
That last bit explains a lot :D

Seriously though, is remarking on the very small hole there something like ongoing critisism? I played Heather Clarke's chanter once and it blatantly refused to play an E off the knee. It's very simple, this is a very wide bored chanter with very big holes, you need a fairly strong vibration to drive that, suddenly there's this tiny hole which just refuses to sufficiently vent the vibration inside the chanter. Has he rectified it in his later design, fair play to him but don't make it sound like remarking on this is a campaign of unjustified critisism.
Hey, like it or not, I understand exactly what you're talking about, and particularly trying to roll an off-knee or even on-knee chanter with a tiny E-hole is pretty feeble sounding. Those who don't immediately grasp what you're driving at probably aren't ever going to.

Royce