about my rogge polyacetal practise set (long post)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jordan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jordan »

anima wrote:Ok, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here ( and really no offense is meant), but you put a certain amount of after market work into this set (filing burrs, sealing leaks)..... of course I've never heard an O'grady set before too, so the point may be moot. :-) I dunno

Jeff
hi jeff, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but no offence was taken, yours was a true statement. :)
thies, glad to hear you're happy with your set. I'm sending you a PM.

jordan
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I heard Jordan about a year and a half ago in Winnipeg at an ITM workshop. He busted out a tune on an old 3/4 set, playing regulators and everything. I think the tune was Bucks of Oranmore. I was very impressed. I heard him play low whistle and guitar too. A very friendly guy and quite the luthier too.

Cheers,
Aaron
jordan

Post by jordan »

okay, now that people are chiming in and embarrising the hell out of me and making me nervous there is a sound file on the clips and snips page of my chanter in action. I just had a listen and the sound quality is greatly reduced from the file I have, so if anyone is really curious and wants a better sounding clip just let me know and I can send you the mp3 directly.
hope you like it.
Jordan
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I just listened to you playing Sean Bui on Snips & Clips. Sounds good in spite of the mp3 compression! I really wouldn't have known the chanter was polyacetal just from listening. I don't see any reason why you can't build into a 3/4 or full set, keeping your Rogge chanter and Matt Kiernan drones. Your regs can be anything you want them to be. No one should even question it with your playing being so good! :D
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Nice Yellow John. Jordon, what is the ornament on the B part, between first and second thumb D? An a-b-c triplet? It is very tight.

t
jordan

Post by jordan »

hullo tommy,
thats a gfd triplet. I "don't think I've" ever heard it used by anyone else "and it wasn't taught to me by anyone" so I'm not sure how it came to find its way to my hands! it just sorta seemed to make sense one day when I was playing the tune... It's an easy triplet to learn if you already have gfe down, and I think it gives a neat lift to the tune. I have yet to find another tune to use it in though... any ideas?
Jordan
Last edited by jordan on Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
seanny

Post by seanny »

how does this chanter compare to patrick o'hare's?
jordan

Post by jordan »

hi seanny,
if you're asking how my Rogge polyacetal chanter compares to Patrick O'hares chanters I'm afraid I can't answer that. I don't know a single thing about Patrick O'Hare. Sorry! Maybe some of the other plastic Rogge owners can help?
Jordan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

jordan wrote:hullo tommy,
thats a gfd triplet you're hearing. I've never heard it used by anyone else
You better start listening closer, that is pretty standard fare
jordan

Post by jordan »

ouch. Okay, I'll try to do better.
I've listened to as much as I can, as closely as I can, and I've never picked out that triplet. I guess if it's a common one it's possible I've heard it (although being self taught, unable to afford buying EVERY record i would like to, and living hundreds of kilometers from any other pipers, it's possible I haven't..:), I didn't mean to sound high-and mighty if I came across that way, I was just excited to share something that I had "discovered" on my own, and that I felt wasn't "common fare" if you're learning from books or videos.
Peter, maybe you could point me towards some examples? I would appreciate that.
thanks,
jordan
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Whoever uses gfd they're playing it pretty fast. Hard to pick out what's what really, I was surprised to be told Robbie Hannon uses a C# or B cut on a G roll. I think it was. It doesn't come across as very sharp sounding like you'd expect.
There's a whole forest of these staccato ornaments that use two fingers in one hand and one in the other, search this forum for "backstitching." A whole wide world of f*rt noises.
Where'd you come across a Matt Kiernan set, Jordan?
I was showing a Highland piper the fingering for the Irish pipes. "So there's no turluath or birls, it's a lot simpler?" "Yeah, see, you lift the chanter, that's the bottom note, then put it down again and lift two fingers, then one, then two, and so on, you see? Then press harder and repeat and there's the second octave." "Hey, that's a lot simpler!" "Well, yes, now you play it differently with the chanter up." "Different?" "Yeah, ummm, you play it differently with loose fingering, too." "Loose?" "Loose, also called open." "Open?" "Yeah, you can play loose on the knee too." "Knee?"
This killed about an hour's time. Lucky sod, only wants to play slow airs!
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...um, I'm kinda new to ABC notation. Just haven't bothered to learn it (the ol' hard drive is getting kinda full, doncha know). I am assuming the gfd triplet is upper octave gf and thumb d, right?

tk
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

tommy- yes, that's correct.

jordan- the gfd triplet is taught in Vol II of the NPU video series. If you'd like to expand your repertoire of ornaments, you might want to pick up Vol II and III. Vol. I would be too basic for you.

jd