OT Genesis of the Brass Chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Antaine

OT Genesis of the Brass Chanter

Post by Antaine »

I wanted to share this with the board, because I had begun pestering people because of it back in March. Remember how last spring I started developing the brass chanter in order to provide an inexpensive practice set to an Irish Musician friend for Christmas and her birthday that preceeds it by two days? Well...that was largely because my initial idea was too expensive.

She's a harpist and I wanted to build her a harp, but the kit would have run $1100. If I had the money, I would have...she's worth it...but alas, I did not.

In October, however, I decided to buy blueprints and modify them, and build her a harp from scratch. Which is exactly what I did. And made her a padded gig bag out of neat material as well. I took pictures every step along the way, and put together a little documentary packet so she could see it move from a 1x10 to a harp. Well, I gave it to her last night and took her out to a fancy dinner.

She had such a good time, and I managed to make her so happy, which made the weeks of building so worth it.

Anyway...have no fear, I have no intention of ceasing development of the brass full set. Below is a happy picture of the magic moment. I assure you I look better than I do in the photo. My pictures never do me justice...they all look just like me! Thanks for your help with the chanter, those who have provided it over the last few months.

elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Good work, Antaine!
Uilliam

Re: OT Genesis of the Brass Chanter

Post by Uilliam »

[quote="Antaine"]I wanted to share this with the board.. Well, I gave it to her last night and took her out to a fancy dinner. quote]...... :o ooer vicar!
given that children are reading this forum!!! Must admit tho you certainly go to some lengths to please a gal....nudge nudge :wink: :wink:
Slan go foill
Liam :party:
Irish Terrier

Post by Irish Terrier »

Hi Antaine,

Nice stuff, did you do your apprenticeship in the H-Blocks (Long Kesh/Maze Prison) ?

Only joking now folks!!!

Seamus :devil:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice work Antain. :party: I've enjoyed reading all your posts about your brass Uilleann Pipes project so far. I can't wait to see the final product.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Irish Terrier...I suppose I could make a comment re Uilliam's post about being on a blanket, now...but i won't...I'll be a good wittle boy...she's a classy gal... :lol:
Irish Terrier

Post by Irish Terrier »

she's a classy gal
She is indeed Antaine!!!

Seamus :wink:
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

yeah...almost made it to miss america a couple times...i think the closest was finishing in the top five for the state pageant...i was there for that one...andrew lloyd weber's Requiem on the big pedal harp while singing for talent...next year was danny boy, but she got penalized for mic trouble (Basmatis!) hasn't competed again after that...