Case revelations?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

perfect case?

Post by elbogo »

Ok, this looks like it may do the trick, almost perfect, what?
32x13.375x8.75 inches and only $139.00:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/usaoptics-s ... ifcas.html
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I like the looks, the size..esp the depth, and the durability, elbogo...so Merry Christmas to you and yours.
djm

Post by djm »

That looks just about perfect. Good for you, Elbogo!

I second that: Best wishes for the Holidays!

djm
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Gosh, thanks guys! And I might add, the same to you. Good piping!

It has wheels, though... maybe they can be unscrewed and taken off...

And, to top it off, I feel like an idiot, because Kevin Popejoy already found this same case, back on page 1... duh!!!

Too much rum and eggnog!
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Does anyone out there actually have this case for their pipes? I asked the company by e-mail how much the case weighs, and it is 20lb. Perhaps that's a bit on the heavy side, but it certainly would provide great protection as well as enough room without having to break the set down. I asked if the inside could be reworked to fit a musical instrument, but they were not sure what I meant. I have a Gallagher half set badly in need of a case. Seth's site has cases listed, but he tells me he has been waiting for over a year for the company to make some! :o
The other alternative may be to try and build a case.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardfor ... uncase.htm
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I'm going to need a new case soon and am considering building an aluminium, or whatever, one. (Like they carry photo equip., in?) Any suggestions as to a source? Thanks

Alan
djm

Post by djm »

AlanB, sorry but I don't know where you are. Try this in Canada, or follow the link to their US couterpart: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.storefront/

Hope that helps,

djm
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Guardforce has a few models.

The one that you mention is designed for two breakdown shotguns and is very deep for a set of Irish pipes.

The single shotgun is adequate for a set of pipes but you must have a bellows connector that is detachable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=22699
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

That 2nd case that I mention is 34" long. There is another one out there by Guardforce at 32" in length.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=22699
Brand New... Vanguard Breakdown Shotgun Case (model 7252C). The measurements are 34" x 13 1/4" x 4 1/2". Features: black exterior with metallic gray aluminum trim, it has both combination & keyed locks, reinforced corners, impact resistant interior foam, deluxe carrying handle, approved for airline travel..
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Jim...Yes the one case is deep for uilleann pipes, but the trouble with the other cases for me that you are pointing out is that my bellows only closes to approximately six inches thickness. Otherwise they would work great.
Ailin
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

My Froment bellows connector detaches; my Taylor bellows connection is leather and folds over.

Several other makers make bellows that are very flat. Michael Dow makes a great bellows (none better) and those bellows come apart, too.

If you are going to try to get the case on any airplane, the less depth the better. 34 x 12 x 4.5 gets in to the overhead easily and that profile of a case usually does not cause alarm for airline personnel.
danny

Post by danny »

i got a case made from aluminium and it was heavy as f==k it was like carrying a coffin around.and wooden cases arent much better, the way to go is something light like fibre glass or plastic as long as its strong.cause there nothing worse than a heavy case if your walking,traveling around
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The decision of what case to use could easily be more personal than the selection of the pipes going inside.

SKB has an attractive moulded case for $150US is 36" x 13" x 5" inside dimensions. It would require partly breaking down a full set, but it's strong. lightweight, has a musical instrument case appearance and fits inside overhead storage.

Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The Vanguard sells for about $75. It has foam inside, too.

Both the Vanguard and SKB would be good choices.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Here's a good range of shotgun cases that could be used:
http://www.exploreproducts.com/guncases.htm#441