Case revelations?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I was livid, a complete nervous wreck! It was on the return flight from the NY Tionól in 2001 out of JFK. Only a few weeks after the Sept 11 disaster. This had the airline people on edge *Big Time* and they weren't taking any sheet. I basically begged and they weren't having any of it... "it's a priceless, irreplaceable, historic, old instrument"... "If you don't check the case you ain't gettin' on the plane"... charming!

Anyway, as you can tell it was a damaging experience :) Luckily I have a very strong flightcase for my Wooff's and they made they journey intact except for the baritone reg reed coming out.. .that must have taken quite a wallop to do that! I also asked the attendants for duct tape and I sealed every opening on the case. It is already airtight but I didn't want to take any chances. I used nearly the entire roll.. .served them right ;)

I have flown many times since with absolutely no trouble. It is now law that you can carry on your instrument and the attendants and customs have to cooperate with you. The Musicians Union fought successfully for this law to be passed.

Patrick.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Sorry, Pat, I didn't mean to imply you weren't properly outraged. :D

I'm glad they came through none the worse, I'm sure you were relieved; they sound tremendous.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Pat Cannady wrote:Sorry, Pat, I didn't mean to imply you weren't properly outraged. :D
Well... you'll know better the next time :lol:

Patrick.
Last edited by Patrick D'Arcy on Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys; it's interesting to see what people are using.

I used a Roblés Roadcase gig bag for my Rogge set, but I am thinking, particularly with regs, that I should go with something hardsided. Jury's still out, and it's not like I have to buy a case right this instant.

As for the things mentioned about flying . . . this year was the first time I've ever been an "Elite" frequent flyer on any carrier. Continental now basically ignores the weight limits for pieces of luggage, and I am afforded "elite access" boarding privileges and can board when 1st class boards. Which means . . . I can fill the overhead bins before anyone else gets on! That's also very nice for getting something like a set of pipes on board. Makes me feel like a schmuck, a little bit, but hey.

Stuart
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:
I have flown many times since with absolutely no trouble. It is now law that you can carry on your instrument and the attendants and customs have to cooperate with you. The Musicians Union fought successfully for this law to be passed.

Patrick.
I remember the Paddy Kennan concert at McCabes about his dis-assembling his pipes for the checkers... Is case size an issue?? Does it have to fit the over head bin?? All you folks that flew out to the SoCal tionol- was there any issues?? especially if you brought more than one instrument??

Inquiring minds NEED to know- work is beckoning me to travel again and I need to practice

F, one e, one L
sturob

Post by sturob »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:I have flown many times since with absolutely no trouble. It is now law that you can carry on your instrument and the attendants and customs have to cooperate with you. The Musicians Union fought successfully for this law to be passed.
It's not a law, but rather a TSA regulation. I have heard of very VERY rare instances when folks have been denied the ability to carry on an instrument. I recommend that we all download and print a copy of the document, which is available here.

I think the only ramification that it's a regulation and not a law is that we are to "be allowed" to carry on ONE instrument in addition to the carryon requirements, not that we have the "RIGHT" to do so. Airlines are still allowed the final say and I believe they have absolute discretionary power to refuse to allow anyone or anything to board a plane.

But hey, score a point for us!

Stuart
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Since it is up to local ruling and you're screwed if you don't make your flight, the idea is to use as small a profile for a case as possible. The 34" x 4" x 12" NPU/Froment case is great for that - hardshell, too.

For local usage (local transport, car, etc), one can use almost anything - tripod soft cases, long gun cases, whatever.
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Wow, Kevin, that is stout. Inside dimensions: 31 1/2" x 12 7/8" x 8 1/4." Price: $140 US

Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Yeah, nice link.
I could put a practice set plus 3 chanters in that one.
sturob

Post by sturob »

If I could only find a gun store here in Houston, I'd get one of those!

Stuart

(note: the first line uses irony for those of you not familiar with the US: Houston is in Texas. :) )
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

There are also 34" breakdown shotgun cases. The case shown would be double the weight of the NPU/Froment and difficult to get into the overheard compartment of an airline due to its 8" depth. The one pictured is shorter in length than the NPU/Froment case, too.

Here's one that I like:
http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardfor ... uncase.htm

Years ago, if I was going to work, via public transportation and then seeing Joe Shannon that night, I'd take my plywood case. If I was starting from home and driving, I'd use my padded, ballistic nylon tripod case. So, one's usage can vary.

Since prices of pipes have gone crazy, one has to be particularly careful of them in public (pub) settings.

There is no perfect case (hard shell, hard/soft shell, soft shell) but I have seen people lug a lot more around than is necessary.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Kevin Popejoy wrote:I don't know about your area but the drivers around here suck ass.
It's everywhere. Chicago-area drivers seem to lose at least half of their IQ by just shutting the door and turning the key.

Good case recommendation, though. I'm always kind of secretly delighted about carrying pipes around in a case made for firearms.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

We should be getting close to CASE CLOSED.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

perhaps it's the english major in me, but i've always felt the imagery of that expression particularly vivid