Dream Case - *Now with pin-up PHOTOS!*

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

http://www.local1000.com/pdf/carryon.pdf

Not the best quality, but should be convincing in marginal cases.

Oh, it's massive, by the way. Be prepared to wait if you're on dial-up.

Cheers,
Calum
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The note does not address the size of the instrument with its case. So, it puts it all back to square one in trying to get something through. Go early and be personally charming!
malanstevenson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Carry-on

Post by malanstevenson »

Hey Brian,
I have a cheapo carry-on 24" duffle bag from Target - one main compartment - with one of those pull-out handles and inline skate wheels. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/re ... B0000643ZK

I just lined it with egg-crate packing foam material on the sides, and a sliced-up section of foam sleeping mat on the bottom and attached to the inside of the lid. Fits a disassembled half-set fine (along w/ extra chanter & flute), with all drone slides removed and wrapped in socks or whatever. I've flown with it once, and they never even asked me what all those odd tubes in my bag were. Go figure.

So when are you going to come visit us up here in the Far North?

Cheers,
Mark
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jqpublick »

Hey all:

I found a gig bag for a trumpet by Ritter Outdoor Limited that almost perfectly fits my practice set. My bellow're just slightly too big for a comfortable fit. It's thickly padded, well made, light, strong and cheap (I got mine for $35 CDN at St. John's music for all you Canucks out there). It's got two well-made plastic-zipper pockets that hold the tube and whatever else you want (my flute and three penny whistles for example). There are two really good shoulderstraps, a handle at the top and a velcro handle you can use in the middle of the bag, along the zipper-line. Not only that, but it has a little solid rubber foot at the standing end. Looks kinda like a golf bag, now that I think about it. The interior lining is a fakeish velvet stuff, fairly thick too. Overall a great bag, and this comes from someone who has carried backpacks most of his life.

I've just noticed that the bag also has a website on it (but not just for my bag, 'cos that'd be silly), which I have just visited. http://www.ritter-bags.com/

They don't list their prices or dimensions anywhere that I could find but I had thought of going back to the store and looking for a trombone bag for when my half set comes. It looks like they have a large selection of other bags as well. The website's got this 'too kool for skool' thing going, but we must learn to looks beyond the tawdry and populous, mustn't we?

Mark
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

djm wrote:....I take the hose off at the bellows, too. It would not make any sense to do it the other way....
Most makers have designed the hose to remain connected to the bellows and connect/disconnect to the stock at the bag. Unfortunately, without modification to the hose/stock this requires a deeper case to make the bellows fit.