Supplies for drone cane/mandrel for C/B reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Supplies for drone cane/mandrel for C/B reeds

Post by Fergmaun »

Can any one help me find a good supplier of drone cane for making my own drone reeds for my Andreas Rogge C Snakewood set.

I also need a supplier for mandrel for making staples for both C and B Chanters

The drone cane outside diameter is
C tenor 5.8mm or 0.23 in
C baritone 6.1 mm or 0.25 in
C Bass 8.2 mm or 0.32 in

The bass/tenor drone reeds is made by Andreas Rogge from Cane with a plastic tongue on the bass reed , baritone reed is a Charles Roberts made form cane.

Rogge also makes plastic drone reeds

But which is better cane or plastic or any other materials for drone reed

Bye for now

Fergus
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Fergus, since you're located in Ireland, I would suggest your first point of contact be NPU. They were (at one time) supplying a source for cane. They may have other suggestions as well. For the mandrels, why not go directly to your pipemaker? Who else could give you a better mandrel specifically for your set?

In regards to real cane vs. elder vs. composite drone reeds, do a search on this forum to see the constant bickering, niggling, whining, and general disagreement this question usually instigates. :wink:

Hope that helps,

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Here's your drone reed material: Our friend the Elderbush. As I was told once, this stuff is everywhere. Would you pay money for air?

Dave Daye's site has great info on making mandrels, for rolling staples and flattening 'em, too. You need an electric drill for the rolling mandrels, a big piece of leather, and a couple of files. Works great! You could email Andreas for the correct dimensions.
djm

Post by djm »

Kevin, I think I recognize the plant in the picture, if those flowers are white, the leaves dark green, the berries dark blue/purple, and the stems crimson red. But if its the same plant, I've never seen it last more than a summer here. It doesn't last long enough to get woody enough for cane (or am I supposed to cut it ripe and let it dry?).

Thx,

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Huh? I used a b&w photo because the color of the berries varies from species to species. If you live in Eastern Canada/US you'll get black berries. In Western Canada/US you have Blue Elder (light purple berries) and Red Elder (red berries; don't eat 'em raw). In Europe elder berries are blackish, as I recall. Lots of species of this stuff.
You're supposed to cut them when the sap isin't flowing, in January, say. Dead of winter. Or you can look for stuff on the ground in the heat of summer, too. They last for a good few seasons, typically. Blue elder trees are 50 feet tall, sometimes. Wonder what a trunk cross section looks like.