sheepskin question?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
punteru

sheepskin question?

Post by punteru »

I excuse for my poor... English. When it's used sheepskin for making bags.
leather origin is sheep, or this name is used to more kinds of leather.

Thanks, One day I will be able to answer question of this forum. jaja jeje
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Punteru, you are correct. Sheepskin is from sheep. Other types of leather would be named for the animal it came from.

This is why sheep are so nervous. Also, if you are Greek, sheep become very suspicious. :really:

Are you familiar with these people? http://www.arhpa.com. Perhaps they can help you also.

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

In America what is sold as "elkhide" is actually cowhide at least some of the time.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Not always, if I understood my pipemaker. My bag is elk hide and I understand they are actually made from cow hides and it is tanned with a proceedure impregnating something into one side to make it airtight.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Previous discussion about chrome tanning:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 86d9c1824e
Davey

deerskin...

Post by Davey »

...I stil have a bellows I made almost 15 years ago...I used brain tanned deer hide. What a horrible failure! I didn't realize deer hide was as porous as a basketball net!
brianc

Post by brianc »

For what it's worth:

A female elk is known as a "cow".

Cows aren't just those black and white things that provide milk, sometimes just prior, as they are often found standing along country roads, smoking cigarettes on their 15 minute break.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:In America what is sold as "elkhide" is actually cowhide at least some of the time.
L&M had some literature on "ELK" tanned hides, which I think was some German phrase that described the process, not the material. Something like "Ektographical Leichtung Kromatica" (gibberish) and the end result was a tightly closed pore structure, splitting the hide to a thinner (as opposed to a 1/4" sheet and then pommelling it around in a big paddled barrel mixer to soften it.

It's chrome-tanned bovine but it isn't just "chrome tanned" because chrome tanning in some processes does not produce a finished hide with an airtight pore structure.

Royce
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

L&M elk tanned bags and MacHarg bags are great. The Aussies sometimes use the heaviest (4+ oz.) kangaroo hide for their GHB pipe bags. It is almost pore free. I have seen a couple of UP bags from it as well. It is one of the most durable leathers available. It is used for football players shoes as well. I got over 20 years out of a GHB pipe bag from it. I would like to find a source for it. Any Aussies out there have a line on it or sources for bags?

Ted
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

You could always just get some roos for your back yard, Ted...I bet they'd make good watchmarsupials with some boxing gloves on, like in old cartoons.