scalloped tone holes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tony wrote:reviving an old discussion.
Thanks, it saved me from running a search on all the threads related to scallops, in addition to other sea food.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My Seth Hammond Chanter has scalloped fingerings. Very nice indeed. I really need to get a pic on my set posted.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I'm allergic to scallops. Just ask my date for senior prom. :oops:

I preferr scalloped chanters. Just used to them I guess.

tk
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Here are three boxwood chanters which happen to be on the bench. All of them are ostensibly the same, however, due to the nature of the particular pieces of timber, the one in the foreground was left a little thicker while turning. In order to maintain the proper chimney height, this one was noticeably scalloped. Although it could be said that it is a little more comfortable, my feeling is that more sensitivity can be afforded in half holeing on a well turned, round chanter. I do not usually scallop toneholes, but in this instance, the chanter was both too fat to play comfortably and would have had much too high a chimney. Scalloping toneholes on a well made chanter which is already undercut will result in making the holes larger and sharper on their edges. If you have a round chanter but want a scalloped chanter, buy one.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Sorry about the large photo.
Mark
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

yep, that's one way of achieving scallops without de-tuning; just "grow the chanter" around the existing chimney heights.

Your photo points out that even without "scallops" the edges of the toneholes need ideally to be rounded somewhat, i.e. not sharp. Same on the inside of course.