Is it possible?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Sillysausage1968
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Post by Sillysausage1968 »

Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Is it possible?

Post by PJ »

Sillysausage1968 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:49 am ... while the bag was entirely free from the left arm....
How can you do this?
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:56 pm
Sillysausage1968 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:49 am ... while the bag was entirely free from the left arm....
How can you do this?
He's talking about using the bellows to give sufficient pressure to the bag so that the reeds will sound without squeezing the bag. However, it would seem this is quite a different proposition from the OP.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I understand that he’s talking about using the bellows to keep the air pressure up. I can’t understand how he could play the chanter with the arm clear of the bag.
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm guessing his arm's under the bag.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sillysausage1968
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Yes..a different proposition from the OP but an attempt to highlight the futility of trying to drive a set of pipes with, mostly, the left arm. Early into my piping career I had a cycling accident resulting in broken wrist, clavicle and dislocated shoulder all on my left...playing pipes as I had been instructed was impossible...trying to continue with left arm bias I set up my pipes to play "lightly" but lost almost all the tone and character...building an efficient bellows coupled to an airtight bag resolved everything...ever since I have been attempting to bring pipers round to the idea that the bag is simply an air reservoir and the bellows drive the pipes and a great set of bellows makes playing effortless and enjoyable....the posted YouTube link to Éanna Ó Cróinín demonstrates the point much better than I can articulate it....
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

How do you control the octaves with the bellows?
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

So if you need to increase pressure for tuning or octaves you have to pump the bellows? Becomes a bit like an accordion I'd imagine? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but does go completely contrary to the general way of thinking about bag vs bellows.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Decreasing pressure would be problematic.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Sillysausage1968

Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Sillysausage1968 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:30 am..it requires a bag and bellows made with excellence to achieve the technique.... but they have been thin on the ground for sometime....
Would you have any recommendations where to get a suitable bag and bellows.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ

Post by PJ »

I was always under the impression that using the bellows to provide the air pressure was bad for the reed - the pressure changes are more severe. I was told that the bag should never be over pressurized, and using the bellows to push the reed into the high upper octave was a bad habit, to be avoided.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I don't know Sillysausage, you might end up looking like this and some people would think you're better at playing the pink oboe than you are the uilleann pipes.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Sillysausage1968

PJ wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:04 am I was always under the impression that using the bellows to provide the air pressure was bad for the reed - the pressure changes are more severe. I was told that the bag should never be over pressurized, and using the bellows to push the reed into the high upper octave was a bad habit, to be avoided.
That hasn't been my experience...I have never been good at listening to what I have been told....had I....life would have been a whole lot easier no doubt....
Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sillysausage1968

Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.