Davy Stephenson kits?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Davy Stephenson kits?

Post by Calum »

Hi folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a starter set. Being a Scotsman (from the North-East, no less), I obviously want to do it with a minimum of cost. I've found a couple of self-assembly kits on the net, in particular this one :

http://www.bagpipeworks.com/other.htm

I've never heard of the guy, but that doesn't mean much. Does anyone have experience with this chap's work and/or the kits?

And on another note, it seems that Heather Clarke's tutor gets the nod. Is this a good shout?

Cheers,
Calum
Lorenzo

Re: Davy Stephenson kits?

Post by Lorenzo »

Calum wrote:Being a Scotsman (from the North-East, no less), I obviously want to do it with a minimum of cost.
Good one! :lol: I once read in a book that Scotmen put education before economic security.

Welcome! Enjoy your time here on C&F.

PS: Stephenson has proved himself to be more than just okay.
Thorpe

Post by Thorpe »

Welcome!! I too hail from the north east. You shouldnt encourage the "we are tight rumours" its not true honest :wink:

Most things ive heard about Stephensons woork has been good but the self assembly bit scares me!!

Dan
anima

Post by anima »

I have one of Davy's halfsets and am well pleased with it.

jeff
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Equally I have bought a Stephenson half set which I am very unhappy with and have been getting no help whatever from the maker to resolve the position!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Larry, what specifically are you having problems with ?
seanny

Post by seanny »

larry,

I thought you had previously been very complimentory about Davey Stevensons' pipes?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I have yet to have heard anything bad about his sets. Can the people speaking against his sets give specifics instead of general comments about how they're unhappy? Also mention if you let Davy know that you're unhappy and if he's done anything about it?

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Tony,
Any chance of the pictures yet. :wink: 8)
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

r[quote][/quote]
Last edited by LarryM on Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

LarryM wrote:Regarding my problems with Davy Stephenson and the half set I purchased from him, I would not be prepared to go into specific details at present as the situation is still ongoing.

However should my problems not be fully and reasonably addressed, I will certainly make details known in the public interest at a future date.

Let it be said however, that I no longer stand by my reference which appears on Davy's website and have asked him on three occassions to remove it, apparently without result.
Hi Larry! If I remember correctly, you had a chanter with which you were (and still are) happy, so I assume that the problem is in the drones you added later. But, not to be guessing...keep us in suspense! :) Diplomaticly, it might be a good idea to give us a hint, if you're somewhat new to piping, and we might help you resolve a big probem to you that is otherwise not considered much of a problem to more experienced pipers.
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by LarryM on Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks very much for your very kind offer for help. However the problem is being resolved now and hopefully I should get the problem corrected.

Yes I have the practice set Davy made me and they are first class as is the chanter. I think probably I have had a bit of bad luck just with the drones, but hopefully the problem will be sorted before too long.

Thanks again Lorenzo for the kind offer.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

LarryM wrote:
I have spent £1600 in products which I have had a problem with.

I often see other forum users commenting both positively and negatively on certain makers without censure.

I am sorry if you consider my posting what was simply an honest comment to be an excuse to hurl abuse at other users.

As far as I can see the only person trying to start a drama as you put it is yourself.

I am sorry you have mis-interpreted my post as creating a drama however please remember you are not the only piper using this board. Certainly I do not think there is call for what I can only interpret was a rather knee jerk reply.
LarryM,

I think you need to relax a bit. I doubt that there are any pipes owners who haven't had many grievous moments with their pipes and their makers. And the point of boards like this is to offer advice and to put forward your feelings and thoughts.
We are all human. And we shouldn't feel that we need to censor ourselves.

And be prepared for many more trials n tribulations in your piping ventures.

Alan