My uilleann album of the year: Copely Street

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
shakyhands
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My uilleann album of the year: Copely Street

Post by shakyhands »

I've been pretty much exclusively listening to this album by Joey Abarta and Nathan Gourley for my trad fix for the past six months, and have still not tired of it. And this is after being thoroughly obsessed with the other relatively recent releases by Mick and Caoimhin, Jimmy OBM, and Tiarnan. It could be the quintessential trad album, yet has a distinctive American-ness to it. Also, and this may require its own thread, it's another example of how bouzouki makes for the best trad. Plug over.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: My uilleann album of the year: Copely Street

Post by An Draighean »

I have been enjoying that one as well. My tastes are highly slanted towards those playing flat sets, and it sort of surprised me how much I like that record and Mr. Abarta's playing in general. Have heard him play live a few times, and he is treat to hear.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So that's what Nathan's been up to. Can't say as I'm surprised, for he is a top-shelf fiddler and no question. Anyone should be happy to work with him.

When he lived in the Twin Cities, he and I had permission to hold unscheduled sessions at Kieran's during the quieter hours. It was usually just the two of us, and I was happy to stick with cittern backup for the most part, because he had a special touch and sound that I preferred to support rather than compete with. Those were good times.

There was another session elsewhere where, toward the end, things switched to Eb. Nathan didn't even bother to retune, but instead adjusted without a hitch, and he was spot-on as if it were nothing.

I realize this thread is more about Joey, but if ever you have a chance to hear Nathan's fiddling on its own, take it. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And it might be worth mentioning that Joey will be an instructor, along with Torrin Ryan, at the Pipers Gathering in Litchfield, CT later this month. He'll be appearing in one of the concerts, providing group and individual tuition and a workshop.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Ditto, my album of the year.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

my album of the year.
You have to wonder which year though. I see it has been sitting on my hard drive since June 2017 and I am sure it wasn't new then. :P
My brain hurts

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

CD Baby thinks it's a 2016 album, and the MP3 files I have are dated July 12 2016.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Likewise, Bandcamp says it was released July 14, 2016: https://copleystreet.bandcamp.com/releases
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

My album of the year for non-trad is Bruised Orange, an album from 1978. I wish I was more aware of John Prine much earlier, but I'm loving him now, so that's what counts. ;)
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com