Chanter Dimensions on-line

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chanter Dimensions on-line

Post by TnWhistler »

Friends,

A buddy of mine is fascinated by the pipes and wants to try to make a chanter in his extensive tool-filled workshop.

Where can I find some dimensions (inside and out) for a chanter, Rowesome, or any one for that matter. Or could someone send me some off-list?

NuUPiper@aol.com
Thanks

Tim
Chris Bayley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chanter details

Post by Chris Bayley »

There is Wilbert Garvin's book "The Irish Bagpipes" now in it's 3rd edtion detailing a full set. Available from NPU

Have also read that there may be details for a set in Pat Sky's tutor for the Uileann Pipes - can anyone confirm this ?

Details for long hole drills can be found on my website www.bagpipeworld.co.uk and also Davy Stephenson's www.bagpipeworks.com

Mike Nelson's Northumbrian Small PIpe site also has details for drills and techniques but am not certain of the address.

My site also has details for a set of Rowsome drones and I now have the chanter drawn up and will try and add this over the weekend. Regulators will be next.

I will also be posting a drawing showing the layout and shapes for a Taylor style chanter and it's key system.

"Pipers Review" recently ran a series of articles on Taylor pipes and covered their popping valves and also a set of drones

Hope this helps

Chris
DMQuinn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Chanter details

Post by DMQuinn »

Chris Bayley wrote: ...
"Pipers Review" recently ran a series of articles on Taylor pipes and covered their popping valves and also a set of drones

Hope this helps

Chris
Yes, I read this series with some interest. It’s also available at the North Hero Pipers’ Gathering page, at
http://www.pipersgathering.org/Irish%20 ... 0Pipes.htm
(Just follow the link at the piper’s foot.)

If you go to David Daye’s bagpipe page,
http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/bagpipes.html
you’ll find a menu that will take you to his Uilleann Pipe Home-Building Page.
There you will find links to two sets of bore data for concert pitch D chanters. One is a
Genuine Leo Rowsome Concert D [wide-bore] Chanter
and the other is
The Square Chanter (wood or plastic) developed by Craig Fischer, Australia.
On this latter page you’ll find a link to a table which compares the dimensions Mr. Fischer used for the project and the dimensions of the bore of one of my chanters from 1984.

There is also a fascinating graph of the bore profile of a Taylor chanter accessible through the menu on Mr Daye’s home page.

So far I have yet to see published anywhere, either in print or electronically, dimensions of sufficient detail to enable a maker to reproduce a traditional chanter exactly. I believe it should be possible, but I just haven’t seen it yet. On the other hand, with dimensions such as given in these sources and presented from time to time in such publications as the Sean Reid Society’s journal, The Piper’s Review (Seattle), and the NPU journal, it is possible to generate a bore around which experiments can be done which might eventually lead to a satisfactory chanter. There is no substitute for having access to a physical model which performs well, and from which measurements and observations can be made, but if that's not possible, these sources may provide a place to start.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Here is a good "links" page for pipemakers

http://www.mimf.com/link.htm#bagpipes

Here is my "best bet" for a Small-pipes site.

http://wind.prohosting.com/mrnelson/sma ... /pipe1.htm
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com