Drone reed stuck

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gentlemanpiper

Drone reed stuck

Post by gentlemanpiper »

This is a little embarrassing. I accidentally put the baritone drone reed in the wrong end and can't retrieve it. I can't push it out from the other end as the drone has a sort of double barrel meaning it's not straight. I don't know what I could use to snag it and get it out as it seems to be the same diameter as the drone itself.
bcullen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Drone reed stuck

Post by bcullen »

Maybe you could try an air hose with a small opening (dust blower adapter) short bursts should be ok I used one to clean out
a stock with bits of blue tac stuck in it worked a treat

:thumbsup:
Bryan
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

gentlemanpiper wrote:...the drone has a sort of double barrel meaning it's not straight...
Can you thread something through from the other end? I'm think a thin bar of steel, narrow enough to fit without sticking but with enough weight to tap the reed out from the inside.
PJ
gentlemanpiper

Post by gentlemanpiper »

Thanks, where would I get such a piece of steel?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Actually, a smaller gauge piece of cable would be more flexible. Think aircraft or bicycle cable.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

gentlemanpiper wrote:Thanks, where would I get such a piece of steel?
Hardware store. Steel nail with the head ground or filed off, and tip blunted. Make sure there are no burrs or edges, so that you don't scatch the bore of the drone.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

You can put the drone in a cool, dry place for a day. It may shrink enough for the reed to fall out.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

Go to the store and get some metal dentist style picks. Push the pick to catch the inner chamber then pull towards you. You can also use the tip of a hobby style knife or slender sharp pointed object for this.

Good Luck!
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

Am I getting the wrong picture ? The drone reed can go in either way and some swear by it.
Also the baritone drone reed is an easy one to replace, so if it comes to digging it out "I" would not be too concerned
Its the bloody tenor reed that I treat with kid gloves "Their a pain"

Cod liver oil is good for blockages
season greetings :party:
Bryan
zarb

Post by zarb »

I don't get the drone configuration where the bore after the reed isn't pretty much straight. The bit of small cable already mentioned should do the job though in the manner of a plumbers snake.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

My understanding is that the reed went in the bottom of the drone. Where the bore is wide. Not the top/reed seat end.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

It must be out by now. How did the reed get into the wrong end? Reminds me of a kid putting beans in his ears.