Which reedmaking book you recommend?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Which reedmaking book you recommend?

Post by Oldpiping »

I decided to start learning reedmaking, so I want to buy a good book. I already have NPU dvds, but there isn't much in the style of reeds made for Rowsome chanters, except Koehler way, which looks too complicated for me. I think there are few books to choose from out there, but I would like one which includes many photos and section for making hand rolled staples, which are essential part for Rowsome. What would you recommend as best?

Thanks, Chears
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Which reedmaking book you recommend?

Post by rorybbellows »

Dave hegarty's book is the bomb dot com, the bee;s knees , the dogs bollox ,in other words its good. If I was marooned on a dessert Island thats the one I'd want with me. Its totally awesome man!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
dyersituations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

I second Rory's recommendation. Do you have an NPU membership? On pipers.ie the Dave Hegarty book is in PDF form. It was recommended to me when I started messing with reeds. There is a section in the book with drawings on rolling staples. NPU also has reed making videos, though I don't know if any of them cover rolled staples.
Life is good.
JR

Post by JR »

Absolutely get Dave Hegarty's book. I learnt from that one years ago and yes, you can get it for free online.

For Rowsome stuff I can recommend Martin Gallen's reedmaking book. The reed I play in my Rowsome stick is from his instructions and dimensions. There is also plenty of little tips and tricks in it, and some excellent photography which is missing from Dave Hegarty's book. I'd just like to add that I used hobby tubing with excellent results, although rolled staples are in the book if you want.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I'd like to recommend David Quinn's book on reedmaking as being very informative.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Sort of off-topic, but I would also recommend considering Benedict's video series on the NPU site. He helps you connect with your inner reed-whisperer.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Oldpiping

Post by Oldpiping »

Thanks for ideas. I used to have David Quinn and Hegarty books years ago, but then sold it with pipes. I remember they were good, but not enought photos for me.

I think this time I will go with Paddy O'Harre and mybe Martin Gallen books. Anyone have them? Whats the difference? Cheers.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Oldpiping wrote: but not enought photos for me. .
In that case you would be better off with NPU;s DVD "The heart of the instrument". You even get to see Geoff Wooff demonstrate his famous twin spectacles technique .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You even get to see Geoff Wooff demonstrate his famous twin spectacles technique .
No need to travel:

My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Dave Hegarty and David Quinn's books are excellent. So too is Tim Britton's.

Evertjan 't Hart has information on his site, as does Seth Gallagher.

The NPU "Heart of the Instrument" DVDs are highly recommended, with reedmaking demonstrations from Cillian O'B, Geoff W, Benedict K and Andreas R.

There used to be a series of YouTube clips of Finbar Furey making a reed using the "wed method", which I thought was fascinating.

Read everything you can find about reedmaking, even other instruments, like NSP, oboe and bassoon. Attend reedmaking classes/workshops if possible, which is probably the best way to learn.

In the end, don't be a slave to any one method. Find the method that works best for you.
PJ
Oldpiping

Post by Oldpiping »

rorybbellows wrote:Dave hegarty's book is the bomb dot com, the bee;s knees , the dogs bollox ,in other words its good. If I was marooned on a dessert Island thats the one I'd want with me. Its totally awesome man!

RORY
Yes Rory, I was a bit biased with my reply - The Quinn book was very good and Hegarty as well - for this one I remember there were lots of ilustrations. But I forgot how they looked exactly as it was 9 years ago and I had them for only short period of time. I just heard that 'Harre and Gallen books have lots of photos which is always good thing when learning tricky things. Thanks
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

PJ wrote:Read everything you can find about reedmaking, even other instruments, like NSP, oboe and bassoon.
I recently picked up a 2-DVD course by James Mason on oboe reed-making. (http://www.jimboe.ca/recordings) So far, I've watched only a few minutes of it; what I've seen looks very thorough and well-presented. Hoping to get more time to watch it over the holidays. If there's any interest, I can report back with a review once I've seen more.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Tunborough wrote:
PJ wrote:Read everything you can find about reedmaking, even other instruments, like NSP, oboe and bassoon.
I recently picked up a 2-DVD course by James Mason on oboe reed-making. (http://www.jimboe.ca/recordings) So far, I've watched only a few minutes of it; what I've seen looks very thorough and well-presented. Hoping to get more time to watch it over the holidays. If there's any interest, I can report back with a review once I've seen more.
I'd be very interested to know if you plan to use a reed profiling machine in this endeavor. Thanks!
Ted

Post by Ted »

I find very little useful from oboe or bassoon reed making instructions. They are entirely different animals and the few similarities aren't worth much.