Bill Ochs RIP

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
boreen
antispam: No

Bill Ochs RIP

Post by boreen »

For those who have not yet heard:
Bill Ochs, music scholar, piper, teacher, and mentor to many, passed away yesterday morning following a battle with cancer. The music community is much the poorer for his loss.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Bill Ochs RIP

Post by oleorezinator »

He was my first pipe teacher.
This is truly awful. I am crushed.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

May God grant him eternal memory and be with Margaret at this very sad time.

Bill was my regular teacher for the past ten years or so. I saw him as not only a great teacher, but a great source of wisdom. He will be sorely missed. This is horrible news.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Such sad news.

My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I'm proud to have been one of his students. He was a kind, patient, generous teacher and we won't see his like again any time soon.
PJ
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

I only met Bill once, but he left a lasting impression.

It was 20+ years ago at Irish Week at the Augusta Heritage Center. I'd been learning pipes about a year or two. Bill was incredibly generous and supportive, sharing his knowledge and advice over the course of the week with myself and others. He was also the first person I ever saw with Taylor pipes, and I have always attributed my love of Taylor and Taylor-style pipes to meeting him (and John Walsh) that week.

Codladh sámh.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Such sad news.

Nice photo. I hope that they're now able to enjoy a few tunes together.
PJ
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

Damn. My first piping instructor, I'll never forget those walks through Hell's Kitchen to his apartment, and "ringing the bell" by calling him from the corner pay phone!

I have a box full of cassette recordings of our lessons, and Bill was constantly providing bootlegs of important pipers and piping tunes. He taught me how to listen!!

JVF
hopsage
Tell us something.: Not sure whether this anti-bot sentence is necessary, since I'm just updating a profile that I've had here for 13 years. But yes, I've been part of this forum for a while, because the simple system whistle and flute family is wonderful.

Post by hopsage »

He was my whistle teacher for three months in 2013, until I moved away from the NYC area, and he was my wife's flute teacher up until he had to end teaching this summer. I've met few people as warm and as generous with time and attention. He was a friend, and my life is better for having known him.
John H. E. Lasseter
Ph.D., Computer & Information Science
Lover of all things musical, the wilderness, and my family
• photography — https://hopsage.smugmug.com
• music — https://soundcloud.com/hopsage
• also music — https://www.youtube.com/@johnlasseter2940
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by patsky »

Bill and I used to laugh and say the we were the best pipers and reed makers in New England
.....of course we were, at the time, the only pipers in New England. Bill's good humor and friendship, will sorely be missed.

Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
Brus

Post by Brus »

boreen wrote:For those who have not yet heard:
Bill Ochs, music scholar, piper, teacher, and mentor to many, passed away yesterday morning following a battle with cancer. The music community is much the poorer for his loss.
I only knew him through his whistle tutorial, but this is indeed sad.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

patsky wrote:Bill and I used to laugh and say the we were the best pipers and reed makers in New England
I didn,t know Bill ,but I know what its like to lose an old friend . I empathize with all who knew him,and I hope the good memories soon replace your sadness.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Obit is here. A great loss far too young.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, Peter, that photo made tears spring to my eyes - it's wonderful! Bill was such a friend to all pipers and whistlers (he was a fine flute player, too!); always there with an encouraging word. He gave his life to this music and to sharing it with others - we'd be so much less here in the States without him. Friends tell me he passed peacefully, surrounded by family and listening to Micho Russell recordings on a laptop.

I'm sure there will be some wonderful stories and tributes at the Northeast Tionol this weekend - I'll be thinking of Bill and his family for sure as his friends and admirers celebrate his life and many contributions. <3 Cheers, Bill, and thank you for everything. Especially the encouragement! <3
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jpastor
Tell us something.: I have been studying tin whistle for four years now and my husband is recently picking up the uilleann pipes. I am interested in information regarding teachers, instrument issues, etc.

Post by jpastor »

What a wonderful teacher and person in general. Really created a deep love, honor, and passion for Irish traditional music. Mentored me through my graduate thesis and his wisdom can be heard throughout. Prayers to his family.