Flattest Possible Set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Murk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flattest Possible Set

Post by Murk »

Curious -

We all know about flat sets, C#, C, B, Bb and the like - and maybe some of us have even heard of some sets sharp of D. Eb possibly, and I recall there even being a children's F chanter by Froment a while back on Uilleann Obsession.

I'm wondering about flatter than flat sets. Has anyone seen or heard any sets in A? Lower even?! The thought occurred to me tonight that there must be some kind of lower limit on pitch that the pipes can reach - assuming that one keeps the 8 open toneholes that are practically mandatory for articulating in Irish Music. What would that limit be? If someone had large enough hands - say Padraig McGovern - and the bore was small enough to bring the pitch down - would it be possible to see a set of bass pipes pitched an octave below concert D? Any pipe makers want to weigh in?
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
tompipes

Re: Flattest Possible Set

Post by tompipes »

Peter Hunter made chanters in G.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I've played a chanter in G - it stung - my flat set is in Bb too. Covering holes that wide apart isn't fun. I've a tape of Ronan Browne playing the Hunter chanter and he talks about what a struggle it is to get a good seal. To make pipes that big feasible you'd want to add some helper keys for the right pinky and left ring fingers, ala Siccama flute keywork:

That, and crossbore the rest of the open holes, so they'd be closer on the surface and further apart in the bore, and it'd be workable by humans. The other problem you run into is that after a certain point you'd have to rest the bottom of the chanter on a box instead of your knee since the top of the chanter has to meet the bag somehow, eventually it'd all be just too unwieldy; and don't forget the buildup in weight of this thing. A really tall gooseneck might be a fix for the first problem, maybe use fruitwood to keep the weight down. Also there are limits on what pipemakers are set to bore/ream out in the first place. The Hunter chanter breaks in two, I think because he used one of his existing reamers and it wasn't long enough to ream out the the whole thing in one go.

So, yes, you could build sets in A on down, but not a great idea, there's a reason the old makers stopped at Bb, and Bb is pretty rare, too.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Although not a flat 'set', I do sometimes put A bass and baritone drowns (B drones tuned down) on my D set. Played with my D chanter for tunes in A, or converted to A.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

You can see G and A chanters here (and hear them )
http://www.hunterpipes.co.uk/Images.html

I had a low A flute (boxwood Burns). Was brilliant to play and the stretch was not a problem.
Would have been great to play with an A chanter........
Murk

Post by Murk »

Hah! Those sound samples on the G and A chanters are amazing. The A actually sounds quite nice with the D drones, and I presume there were no G drones made to go with the G chanter. Electronic? Ronan sounds like he was really stretching to play that G.

The character of both chanters is just odd - the G especially. I realize only a handful have been made throughout history so it's not like makers are masters of these things, but the upper octave sounds weird. What I appreciate about the upper octave is its finicky (I actually quite like sometimes when a piper will drop the octave, then pick it back up again), almost wild character to its sound and the way it plays.

That G chanter has an upper octave that for all its effort falls just short of the 'wild' label. It has that awkward stature of a person - who is normally quite reserved - trying their darndest to fit in with the rest of the hip crowd.
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

I just had a look myself, and oddly there is no recording of the G chanter that I made, which was much better to play than that one of Ronan's. I will try to dig it out. It was fully in tune over 2 octaves (near enough) and the second octave was pretty nice. It is in Germany somewhere I think.

I didn't find the stretch too bad really, and the tone was akin to the difference between a cello (the G) and a fiddle (a D chanter)

I was so enamoured of it that I was going to make myself a one reg G set, but time pressure soon scotched that plan.

The A chanters are pretty nice. I was trying to pick my favourite pitch just then, but it is impossible. I think it would have to be C or lower. B is great, Bb is like a souped up B. A and G tend to suggest playing tunes quite slowly...
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

... try the vpipes - you can tune them down to low c - sound close to an alto sax then
Christian Tietje
john

Post by john »

has padraig mcgovern tried out a g chanter? someone said previously that he's a giant so if anyone could handle them it would be him
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

I'm no giant, and I found it easy enough.
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As we probably all know you can go much lower in pitch, while retaining a comfortable finger-stretch, with a narrow straight/cylindrical bore.

D smallpipe chanters, which play the same notes as a D uilleann chanter, are so small that many people can't finger them.

Standard with smallpipes is A, a fourth below a D uilleann chanter but having about the same finger spacing.

I have a smallpipe chanter in D, an octave lower than an uilleann D chanter. Yes the finger spacing is wide! A bit difficult to get used to.

Here's a Low D smallpipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6NUQcD0Hc

Of course the problem with smallpipe chanters is they don't overblow at the octave, but at the 12th.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle