Willie Kelly and David Power Apples in Winter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
leremarkable

Willie Kelly and David Power Apples in Winter

Post by leremarkable »

Hi all,
Just to announce the release of a new recording with Willie Kelly of New Jersey on fiddle and myself, David Power on pipes. Available at www.davidpowerup.com, and also will be available with us in person on our upcoming tour of the North East Coast of the U.S., followed by a six-date tour in Ireland. The website has the details, for anyone whose interested
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Willie Kelly and David Power Apples in Winter

Post by NicoMoreno »

Is there a tracklist and/or sound samples online at all?

Will it be for sale through any online retailers (CDBaby, etc)?

Very interested - I bet it will be brilliant.
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

There are some Soundcloud files here;

https://soundcloud.com/david-power-piper

And a promo video on youtube here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-LhIm9YTg

Regards,

David

PS., does anyone know how to post images? That way I could put up the tour details

D
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

In recognition of the great work done on the Album, the good people of Milltown Co Kerry have erected a monument for the craic .

RORY
ps . Only joking of course ,its the Hanafin Bros doda .
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Great news. Looking forward to listening to the CD.

The YouTube clip sounds like it's in D. Are all the tracks on the album in D?
PJ
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Looking forward to your date in May... Newtown!

Be well,
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Martin Hayes told me that he heard a recording of the Hanafins and they had great swing in their music - something that myself and Willie are keen on too!

PJ, all in D, but there are three solo's by Willie on fiddle - beautiful! And I take a couple of solo's myself on a gorgeous, relatively new Koehler and Quinn D set, that I've waited for, fairly much all my life! :P . There's also a whistle solo.

Rory, how do you post a photograph! And no jokes about the swinging!

David
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

leremarkable wrote:Rory, how do you post a photograph! And no jokes about the swinging!David
I'll do my best but if I have something wrong ,others can correct me.
First of all the photo you want to post must have an URL, that is a photo that is out there freely available on the web, and not just on your hard drive. If for instance you go on Google images and type in David Power Uilleann pipes, you will get loads of photos of your good self in various positions. if you click on one of these and then visit image you will then be able to highlight the URL and copy and paste it onto the threads reply page by clicking the IMG icon and pasting the URL .
If the photo you want to post is only on your hard drive you will have to upload it to a hosting site ,I use photobucket but there are others.Once your photo is on the hosting site ,it now has an URL and your can do step one.
Thats probably as clear as mud but as I said if someone can explain it in other terms ,the more the merrier .

RORY
PS Image
another tip would be for you to click on quote on this post and you will see what your image post will look like before you submit it .
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

leremarkable wrote:PJ, all in D, but there are three solo's by Willie on fiddle - beautiful! And I take a couple of solo's myself on a gorgeous, relatively new Koehler and Quinn D set, that I've waited for, fairly much all my life!
These new-fangled modern sets are all well and good, but no need to retire the Eighteen Moloney - more records with it, if you please!
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Martin Hayes told me that he heard a recording of the Hanafins and they had great swing in their music - something that myself and Willie are keen on too!
I don't see any of William and Michael together online, but there are loads of Michael with the Dan Sullivan Shamrock band:
http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/playl ... mrock-band
And William playing here:
http://pipers.ie/source/media/?mediaId=9879
http://pipers.ie/source/media/?galleryI ... diaId=9880
And Michael and (another brother?) Connie Hanafin here: https://archive.org/details/Hanafins-Ba ... y_Hornpipe
And another of Michael not included above, I believe: http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/sound ... ay-hanafin
KJM

Post by KJM »

rorybbellows wrote:
leremarkable wrote:Rory, how do you post a photograph! And no jokes about the swinging!David
if you click on one of these and then visit image you will then be able to highlight the URL and copy and paste it onto the threads reply page by clicking the IMG icon and pasting the URL
FYI this is referred to as hotlinking and is generally frowned upon since you are using the bandwidth of the site that hosts the image to display it. I doubt it is a problem here since the size of the board isn't very big, but you run the risk of the image not showing up later if that website stops hosting it. In general you'd want to re-host the image on a site designed for linking photos (like you mentioned, Photobucket works--I use imgur most of the time, and you can easily upload an image from either your hard drive or from a URL link).
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Mike Hanafin's playing swung like crazy, much like Liam Walsh's, or James Morrison of Sligo's. You don't hear dots and flags like that much any more, in this straight ahead session era.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

That track with the shaskeen is a fiddle, right? I believe I've seen it mentioned to be a bagpipe solo somewhere before, but no matter how many times I listen to it I hear fiddle. The harmonies in particular sound much more like double stops than regulators to me.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Just got my copy last night. Lovely stuff. That K&Q set sounds so good. Love it!
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Our gig at the Irish Arts Center on Wed 25th of May is the main gig of the tour, and its important that we try to get as many people in to it as possible.

Would you mind suggesting it to anyone you know in the NY area who might be interested, thank you.

www.irishartscenter.org

For details