What's with all the buying/selling posts?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What's with all the buying/selling posts?

Post by Coffee »

No, seriously...don't we have a whole separate forum for that?
I'm seeing pipes for sale here, whistles for sale in the whistle forum...
But isn't that what the used instruments exchange is for?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What's with all the buying/selling posts?

Post by An Draighean »

Coffee wrote:No, seriously...don't we have a whole separate forum for that?
I'm seeing pipes for sale here, whistles for sale in the whistle forum...
Possibly so, but personally I have benefited (and presumably the sellers have too) from Big Davy's ebay posts and other "for sale" posts in the uilleann pipe forum that I might have missed in the instrument exchange forum. There's little enough traffic in the uilleann pipe forum anyway; if there were 50 posts per day then maybe it would be a nuisance, but until then, why worry?
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

There was recently a discussion about this in the whistle forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101038.
Life is good.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Not worried, but genuinely curious.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The used instrument forum is a relatively recent addition. Before its introduction all for sale posts were is the regular discussion forums. The continued practice of posting for sale posts in discussion forums has not been discouraged by the gods of C&F.
PJ
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Slightly OT but over the past 2 years, I have sold 2 chanters. In each case, I received emails from prospective buyers expressing strong interest in the chanters and wanting to buy them at the asking price (I'm always willing to bargain). Once the deal had been agreed, they'd tell me that they would send someone to pick up the instrument but that person had to be paid. If I paid the courrier, the buyer would add the amount to the purchase price which he would send by PayPay. Sure enough, I got an email from "PayPal" telling me that the purchase price plus the courrier's fee had been credited to my account. In short it was a scam. The email from PayPal was bogus. When I checked my PayPal account, no funds had been received.

As an aside, the two chanters were sold to two different people on the West Coast, both of whom I knew through this forum.

Anyway, the moral of the story is be wary of selling to people you don't know.
PJ
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Coffee wrote:I'm seeing pipes for sale here, whistles for sale in the whistle forum...
No, not exactly.

The UIE is meant specifically as a "safe haven" for those who wish to post straightforward "classified" type offers, without price policing, meta-discussion etc. of the offers. And with the kinds of editing, tracking and expiring services the Mods provide in the UIE.

At this point, posting or cross-posting these offers in the instrument forums is still perfectly OK.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

I never check the used instrument forum and have purchased two chanters through this forum. In both cases I was not actually in the market for a chanter but saw one I couldn't pass up.