The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

The Wheels of the World website. I pre-ordered a copy, it's due out in September, by which time the world may changed irrevocably, natch. Spendy little tome - about $50 to get it in the US - but looks like quite a monumental piece of work, 624 pages of overblown bellows blowing.
This is the story of a continuum, from John McSherry, a 21st century icon, backwards in time through his three formative heroes – Paddy Keenan, Liam O’Flynn and Finbar Furey – and thence to Séamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Johnny Doran, Leo Rowsome, Patsy Touhey and a litany of unrecorded legends before them. It is also a snapshot of professional Irish traditional musicians, after the goldrush of the late 20th century, keeping calm and carrying on.
John wrote it with Colin Harper, also. The initial run is only 2k copies so get 'em while they're hot, or whatever state books are in fresh off the press.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The Wheels of the World: 300 Years of Irish Uilleann Pipers

Post by An Draighean »

Hopefully it will make a nice addition to O'Neill's classic "Irish Minstrels and Musicians". I pre-ordered a copy myself, since the Dollar-Euro exchange rate is pretty favorable from this end at present.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
oliver

Post by oliver »

Might be interesting but looks more like a book to the glory of John MacSherry...
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have seen a copy of the book (there was a someone doing a little promotion in the street for the Willie week). I must say it has its own bias. It will be 20 euro in Ireland, which is fair enough.
My brain hurts

Marky691

Post by Marky691 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have seen a copy of the book (there was a someone doing a little promotion in the street for the Willie week). I must say it has its own bias. It will be 20 euro in Ireland, which is fair enough.
Saw it myself looks a great book. What do you mean by has its own bias. Don't most things in life?!
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have seen a copy of the book (there was a someone doing a little promotion in the street for the Willie week). I must say it has its own bias....
LOL, like every book ever written!
oliver

Post by oliver »

A book of which it is said : "A history of an instrument and its players, from the present day back through the dawn of recorded sound into Irish musical history, lore and legend." is apparently a history book, and like a real history book, should be unbiased. Unless history here is conceived like in the 19th century, but today it is considered a modern science, and so should be done in the most objective way.
That said, I'd be interested in having a look at it.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

oliver wrote:A book of which it is said : "A history of an instrument and its players, from the present day back through the dawn of recorded sound into Irish musical history, lore and legend." is apparently a history book, and like a real history book, should be unbiased. Unless history here is conceived like in the 19th century, but today it is considered a modern science, and so should be done in the most objective way.
That said, I'd be interested in having a look at it.
Except "real history" books are never "unbiased." Not a single one. Not one written in the 19th century and not one written yesterday. They all reflect the biases and points of view of the people who wrote them. There is no such thing as "objective" history (or objective science for that matter, but that's a different discussion) since the historian has to choose their sources, interpet sources, be cognizant of the agendas and biases inherent in said sources, construct a narrative linking the material together, which will be very individual to the writer, and no matter how objective anyone tries to be, they will never escape who they are and their worldview and particular methodology in their analysis.

As for history being considered a "modern science," it's just not. I don't even know where to start with that one, other than to say historians don't think of themselves as scientists, and scientists most assuredly do not regard historians as fellow scientists. Totally different methodologies, philosophies, practices. Historians don't follow the scientific method. Scientists don't qualitatively analyze texts. You can be a historian of science, however, and qualitatively analyze scientific texts.
oliver

Post by oliver »

TheSilverSpear wrote: Except "real history" books are never "unbiased." Not a single one. There is no such thing as "objective" history
This is quite a rough statement, although I can understand it anyway.
TheSilverSpear wrote:
and no matter how objective anyone tries to be, they will never escape who they are and their worldview and particular methodology in their analysis.
This is precisely the point. Historians TRY to be objective, even though they may or might not succeed as you say, nonetheless real historians try !
TheSilverSpear wrote: As for history being considered a "modern science," it's just not.

This is not what historians told me at university, but here there might be some cultural difference.
Finikey O'Reeley

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

People who haven't read the book should withhold judgement of it. People who do not wish to read the book should not buy it.
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

The academic historians who supervised my history PhD were very much aware that no one is or can be objective, which you have to keep in mind when consulting secondary sources -- meaning other people's history books. It's lousy methodology when you assume your secondary sources (not to mention primary ones) are objective.

When I did my master's in the history of science, I wrote and read a lot of papers discussing why even the natural sciences aren't objective: they create a facade of objectivity, but it is arguable that they are subject to people's agendas, politics, funding, etc.

A good historian approaches his or her sources with an open mind and hopefully not too much of an a priori agenda, but they'll also be aware that they won't escape their point of view anyway. Postmodern, Foucauldian reflexivity is commonly discussed and taught in postgraduate courses; so trainee historians approach their own work and others' with open eyes, knowing it will always be reflective of the writer and where they are coming from, cuturally, politically, whatever.

In Britain and the States, no one views history as a science, or even close. It is squarely in the liberal arts camp. I don't think it even gets to be a social science, which most natural scientists think aren't "real" science anyway.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Since the book is not out yet, we can only judge the promotional materials, which at first glance seem to lack a certain humility; i.e. it is nearly always better to let other people call you a "21st century icon" if they will, than for the author to claim it for himself.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

we can only judge the promotional materials
At the Willie week copies of the book were available (not for sale though) and, FWIW, I leafed through a copy of the book.

I have read Colin Harper's book 'Irish Folk Trad and Blues', and enjoyed his treatment in that book of the history of Sweeney's Men, Anne Briggs and the connections and relations involved. He does have this interest in the (English) folkscene and that, combined with McSherry's own influences and interests, shines clearly through in the treatment of their subject. That is what I referred to above as the book having it's own bias.
My brain hurts

oliver

Post by oliver »

TheSilverSpear wrote:The academic historians who supervised my history PhD were very much aware that no one is or can be objective, which you have to keep in mind when consulting secondary sources -- meaning other people's history books. It's lousy methodology when you assume your secondary sources (not to mention primary ones) are objective.

When I did my master's in the history of science, I wrote and read a lot of papers discussing why even the natural sciences aren't objective: they create a facade of objectivity, but it is arguable that they are subject to people's agendas, politics, funding, etc.

A good historian approaches his or her sources with an open mind and hopefully not too much of an a priori agenda, but they'll also be aware that they won't escape their point of view anyway. Postmodern, Foucauldian reflexivity is commonly discussed and taught in postgraduate courses; so trainee historians approach their own work and others' with open eyes, knowing it will always be reflective of the writer and where they are coming from, cuturally, politically, whatever.
All right then, I totally agree but therefore I suggest all the history books should be given some title of that kind, let's say : " A biased history of Britain" by Simon Schama. :D so that citizens shouldn't be misled.
johnnyalpha

Post by johnnyalpha »

An Draighean wrote:Since the book is not out yet, we can only judge the promotional materials, which at first glance seem to lack a certain humility; i.e. it is nearly always better to let other people call you a "21st century icon" if they will, than for the author to claim it for himself.
Having had some experience of the industry, I can say with near-certainty that this is the voice of publishers trying to hype their product, not John McSherry big-noting himself. Humility is not in the publishers' dictionary.

Seriously... if you're a piper why would you not get the book?! It smacks of a certain snobbery, if I may say, for people to be condemning a book they haven't read for bias, when who among them has a) played like McSherry, or b) written a 650-page history of uilleann piping?