Household products useful to a piper.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Household products useful to a piper.

Post by rorybbellows »

When I say household products I mean it in the broadest sense of the word , like blue tac which most have used at one time or another.
My bellows is getting old and shabby looking so recently I gave it a new lease of life by polishing the gusset with shoe polish, I took off all the belts and cleaned the sides with a little white spirit on a rag and buffed it up with some furniture polish and its like new again.
Have you any ideas or examples of things around the house that you have used to maintain your pipes.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Household products useful to a piper.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

You mention Blu-Tac. At the SE Tionol here in the US last February, David Power was tuning his regulators and revealed that he adds a little talcum powder onto the Blu-Tac after he's satisfied with the configuration. This makes the outside of the Blu-Tac less sticky so if it comes into contact with the regulator walls it won't stick. I've known someone who had this happen to them and it was a real job getting the stuff out.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Post-it notes are handy for cleaning dust and gunk out of reeds. Cut a long triangle from the sticky part and slip it in between the lips, compress the head lightly, and remove. Reverse and repeat.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

One thing Uillmann stressed when he was teaching me how to tie on a bag properly, was to cut the "star" slits for the holes smaller than necessary and stretch them to barely accommodate the stocks. (The verb he used was "worry" them and this is along the same lines as train the leather to become a pipe bag.)

While pulling with your hands is good, this kitchen implement is also helpful in this process:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/linden-sw ... HwodZiAA5A

Also, these (while not household items) are great for grabbing the leather points and pulling them at that critical time of getting the stock into the hole:

http://www.dispomed.com/crile-hemostati ... y-205.html
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Let me repeat my mantra -oft spoken on this board- that blu-tac sold in the U.S. is vastly stickier than its European cousin. Use at your peril.

A more suitable substance (that will not stick to your bore!) is rope window caulk (the kind that comes in a coil).

In the Found Objects Department: I gussy up high-end cocktail tooth picks if I need drone stops for something.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
amckay

Post by amckay »

BBQ kebab skewers for regulator rushing. Without wire I came across these in the pantry and they were very successful. Had to shave them down a little with a knife, add a few blobs of blu tac, etc.

Hose clamps - temporary measure to "tie in" the chanter stock of the bag and determine if the length was to my liking. Obviously tie in the neck stock properly afterwards!

Vaseline - for my older regulator leather key pads. Keeps them soft and sealing well.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

For the longest time the bellows tube on my set was constantly slipping off of the joint, (I was too lazy to fix it) But a hose clamp has been a great fix! So it will work for that too!

Has anybody used Kerosene or WD-40 like Ennis or Pat Sky?

I once (possibly without judgement :tomato: ) smothered my reed in WD-40 for humidity reasons, reed plays fine thankfully..
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Of household products I recommend the use of sewing thread for making the bindings of joints. The reason I prefer this to Hemp is the thickness of the thread. I find most Hemp sold for use on bagpipes is far too thick for the Union Pipes. It is much eaiser to get just the 'right fit' when using thinner sewing thread. Currently I have a Cotton thread which is .004" ( O.1mm) in diameter... OK this takes a lot of winding on to make new joints but it packs down very nicely.

I use Beeswax on the thread for the fixed joints and Candle wax on the drone sliders. :thumbsup:

Geoff.
JR

Post by JR »

Melt beeswax down and mix with a little olive oil or vaseline. I find beeswax too stiff by itself for joints, etc.

Needle nosed pliers for reeds adjustments.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

JR wrote:Melt beeswax down and mix with a little olive oil or vaseline. I find beeswax too stiff by itself for joints, etc.

Needle nosed pliers for reeds adjustments.

True. Not all Beeswax is born equal. Sometimes it is nice and waxy and sometimes dry and hard. Probably depends on how it has been extracted .

Another very usefull household product is Closed Cell Foam. This can come in the form of draught sealant strips for windows and doors but is often not quite dense enough for the use I put it to. Of late I have found large rolls of the stuff which is used for Underlay ( of carpets or Cliploc flooring)... this makes very good key pads which do not leak and is easy to use.

The roll I bought was nominally 2mm thick , is easy to cut and has just the right density for the job, ie. it deforms enough under key spring pressure to form a good seal on holes but does not squash completely flat. Fixed to the keys with a dab of Super Glue it might take an hour or two to fully mould itself into position but it's Staunch.

One room sized roll of this is enough for the lifetime of several pipemakers!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Double sided tape has a googolplex of uses ,apart from my wife using it when wearing low cut dresses to stop her boobs poping out,.I use it to make sanding boards of different grits by sticking the sandpaper to pieces of 1/4 inch MDF. Viola .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

rorybbellows wrote:Double sided tape has a googolplex of uses ,apart from my wife using it when wearing low cut dresses to stop her boobs poping out,.I use it to make sanding boards of different grits by sticking the sandpaper to pieces of 1/4 inch MDF. Viola .

RORY
I trust yourself and herself store your supplies of tape separately.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

geoff wooff wrote:Not all Beeswax is born equal. Sometimes it is nice and waxy and sometimes dry and hard. Probably depends on how it has been extracted .
I'm given to understand that the soft, tackier stuff is pure beeswax, and the hard dry stuff has paraffin wax added to it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Beeswax is graded for high-end candlemakers who supply to the wealthy, cathedrals, and the like. Good quality light honeycomb is chosen for the scent imparted by the flora, (like honey) that it emits while burning. The darker brood comb contains higher impurities and must be further rendered, thereby driving off more moisture. After purifying, it can become more dehydrated in its solid form, although at a much slower rate.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

....Mr Wooff mentions foam for key pads....

IIRC he once suggested using slices off foam ear-plugs for regulator keys.
Works quite nicely too - one simply slices the required thickness
off what is already a uniform sized cylinder to create a disc that is then easily attached to
the key face, using your adhesive of choice......

Big advantage of these is your wife can use the remains of the plugs for the original intended
purpose. Several packets of the things lying around the house solve both the piping problem and
the "happy wife, happy life" requirements.