Household products useful to a piper.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Household products useful to a piper.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've spent a large amount of time in three different piping traditions, and it struck me how each one was centered around a different common household product:

Highland pipes: electrical tape

Uilleann pipes: rubber bands

Bulgarian gaida: plastic bags

Many years ago I was playing Boehm flute a bit and one of the high trill keys was leaking so I threw a rubber band around it. I was out somewhere playing and somebody looked at my flute and said "you must be a piper!"
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Pipe lagging as below ,makes a good protector cover for your chanter and other types of plumbing pipe are good for reed storage. All available from your local plumbing shop .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Schrunchy elastic bands for tying up a ponytail work a lot better than rubber bands for holding down recalcitrant keys, they don't break down over time. I don't know if a hobbyist's wood lathe counts as a household product but I've found my useful for all sorts of jobs, making plugs, bellows valves, mandrels, sanding cylinders, what have you.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I have recycled hotwater cylinders on several occasions to utilise the Copper sheet that they are made from. Perhaps this is why I arrived at using 0.7mm thick Copper for my Staples .

Another household item that can be recycled for pipemaking are old Spoons and Forks. Much of the EPNS cutlery has been thrown out in favour of Stainless Steel and these rejected pieces can render suitable crossections for Key making. In fact I used this source of Nickel silver for key making for many years untill moving back to Europe I was able to find a supplier of 4 and 5mm thick sheets.
To use this old cutlery , that can be found in secondhand ( junk, antique,charity, ) shops, flea markets,garage sales, etc etc.. look for heavy quality pieces that can be forged or soldered together. Quality will vary and you results may do also. :wink:
PCL

Post by PCL »

Razor blades!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Toothpaste does a great job at polishing metal parts and it smells nice too!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

My copper sheet for staples was originally flashing on a roof.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Schrunchy elastic bands for tying up a ponytail work a lot better than rubber bands for holding down recalcitrant keys, they don't break down over time. I don't know if a hobbyist's wood lathe counts as a household product but I've found my useful for all sorts of jobs, making plugs, bellows valves, mandrels, sanding cylinders, what have you.
The best rubber bands I've ever used I've made by cutting an appropriate section out of a bicycle tire inner tube. (This is also much more aesthetically pleasing than anything else I've seen.) If you get a skinny one, it's ideal for the purpose you mention. You can use other sizes for other purposes as well. I got mine by going to a bicycle repair shop and asking to buy an old one. The mechanic told me to wait and came out with a handful of ones that had been replaced and gave them to me free of charge. One tube is probably a lifetime supply.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:The best rubber bands I've ever used I've made by cutting an appropriate section out of a bicycle tire inner tube.
Yeah, but it's really hard to get those cyclists to stop long enough for your to cut a new band when you need one. :lol: :D :lol: :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

dow wrote:
Ceann Cromtha wrote:The best rubber bands I've ever used I've made by cutting an appropriate section out of a bicycle tire inner tube.
Yeah, but it's really hard to get those cyclists to stop long enough for your to cut a new band when you need one. :lol: :D :lol: :D
A Pakistani chanter through the spokes of the wheel will stop them in a hurry when necessary.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
dow

Post by dow »

An Draighean wrote:
A Pakistani chanter through the spokes of the wheel will stop them in a hurry when necessary.
So that's what they're good for. Finally we know. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Ian Lawther

Post by Ian Lawther »

I recently needed to make a good seal while capping an unused gas pipe and immediately went to my pipe case, not my tool box, to get PTFE plumbers tape.......

Ian
giles b

Post by giles b »

Chairs, without arms, are pretty handy.