Household products useful to a piper.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Household products useful to a piper.

Post by rorybbellows »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:Double sided tape has a googolplex of uses ,apart from my wife using it when wearing low cut dresses to stop her boobs poping out,.I use it to make sanding boards of different grits by sticking the sandpaper to pieces of 1/4 inch MDF. Viola .
RORY
I trust yourself and herself store your supplies of tape separately.
No, I'm always taking hers which has led to some embarrassing mishaps for my daring wife.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I read somewhere to crush a walnut (or two) and rub the oil on wooden parts.
It worked for me and since it's fresh, I haven't heard anything negative like going rancid or creating a sticky residue.
Crack open a walnut, take the pieces, wrap them in a cloth (handkerchief works well) and crush them into tiny pieces.
Toss out the crushed pieces and you have an oil impregnated wiping cloth.
It's just for cleaning/wiping down and not for the bore.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Some years ago I used walnut oil as a lubricant while boring flutes. Worked well overall, and smelled good when hot. Any residue was non-toxic and it does taste good in the salad or on the pasta. . .however: It will go rancid eventually, and it is a drying oil, so using too much can lead to a build up.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

an seanduine wrote:... walnut oil ... will go rancid eventually, and it is a drying oil, so using too much can lead to a build up.

Bob
Does that also apply to almond and linseed oil?
I'm thinking of wooden whistles and flutes.

Greetings,
Ellen
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Never use linseed oil on tropical hardwoods!
Linseed oil is fine for domestic (European, and probably also N.American) fruitwoods and the like, but not many flutes/whistles are made from such woods.
Almond oil is okay for most tropical woods. It is slow drying. If you apply it sparingly and wipe any excess off after a couple of hours, no harm will be done.
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

Ah, thanks :)

MichaelLoos, I notice we hale from the same country, so greetings to the North from Bavaria :)
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Thanks and servus! :)
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

MichaelLoos wrote:Never use linseed oil on tropical hardwoods!
Why not?
PCL

Post by PCL »

uillmann wrote:
MichaelLoos wrote:Never use linseed oil on tropical hardwoods!
Why not?
Linseed oil is a drying oil. That means it oxidises to a gummy or hard finish. Good for shovel handles, not good for pipes. Use it on your pipes and, if you don't wipe it off properly, you will end up with gummy lumps of varnish in places where you definitely don't want them. Some drying oils lift the grain and you don't want that either. Besides, linseed oil does not provide a barrier for moisture or water vapour.

UP do not need to be oiled. They are dry blown, so moisture is not a problem like it is for flutes and recorders (unless you play in the sauna).

:) P.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Cork !

Although in some countries wine now comes in boxes or bottles with plastic stoppers or even screw caps ( ahhhhggggg)... Corks have been the traditional airtight gland packing for the endcaps of the regulators and that all important one around the drone stop key.

The trick is to find some that have not been 'corkscrewed' and thus have a hole through. If you use an "Italian Cork puller" which does not pierce the cork or you always drink quality Champagne then you can save a few Corks for these important air retaining functions.

I used to get our local bar to save the Cork stoppers from spirit bottles... :)
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Does anyone know where to get smaller cylinders of cork? I've seen them used on regulator tuning pins and am curious. I have cut down regular-sized cork stoppers for the same purpose, but if one could get segments of such tube cork, it'd be nice to have in the tool box.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

I can't believe that no one has mentioned "a wood chipper" in this thread. I've had the thought.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:Does anyone know where to get smaller cylinders of cork? I've seen them used on regulator tuning pins and am curious. I have cut down regular-sized cork stoppers for the same purpose, but if one could get segments of such tube cork, it'd be nice to have in the tool box.
Home brewing suppliers who also cater to winemakers will have a selection of corks of various sizes. My local has them in bins and I can sort through them for the odd perfect cork. . .They have smaller size corks for test tubes as well, since they cater to those fanatics who culture their own yeast. . .which leads also to your local lab supplier. If you have a sizeable Uni nearby there should be a retail lab supply shop in the locale. . .also good for corks.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I'm Spartacus .
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thanks, guys!