Who do you know playing Wooff sets ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patrick Jacob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Who do you know playing Wooff sets ?

Post by patrick Jacob »

voila here she is:

This lady is really :thumbsup:
Patrick
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

billh wrote:When I do the math it still comes out to 4 or 5 sets per year per master pipemaker -
I think you need to buy a new calculator. Geoff Wooff started making pipes in 1978 ,up until 2004 he had made 190 sets . That works out at over seven sets per year.
If you consider the way Geoff makes his pipes ,which is probably the most time consuming of all pipemakers , seven should be the minimun.Take a look at Geoff's workshop, which has a minimun of machinery and compare it too David Quinn's workshop which has more machines,but more importantly labour saving machines like the pantographic mill and abrasive shapers.
The thing is of course is that pipemakers have a life to, at this stage maybe Mr Quinn wants to spend more time in his polytunnel than his workshop and so it come down to, how many sets they want to make not how many they can make.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

I think you need to buy a new calculator. Geoff Wooff started making pipes in 1978 ,up until 2004 he had made 190 sets . That works out at over seven sets per year. If you consider the way Geoff makes his pipes ,which is probably the most time consuming of all pipemakers , seven should be the minimun
No calculator is needed as question and answer has already been given as figure would no doubt cover practice, half and full sets. The estimate of 4 sets a year is for full sets so hint for the clueless : full sets are more complicated with more parts and require a lot more time to make than a practice set so the true answer is covered by the age old question "how long is a piece of string". :)

Two possibly more interesting questions are

How many pipemakers are actually full time professional status with no other form of employment

What is the takeup for positions on the NPU Pipemaking course and what impact with this sudden inrush of newly trained pipemakers have on the market

John
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

For me it' s not so important how many pipes Mr Wooff makes on a year. As said before making pipes like this takes a lot of time. So I can imagine that Mr Wooff his pipes what he make nowadays take more time than before.
But I concern more to the pipes what are made and not being played at all As I think this is really :( :( And I think there are some just somewhere in a box waiting to get out.

There is also a piper in the Netherlands: H. van der Heide who plays a D set made by Mr Wooff

Patrick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There is also a piper in the Netherlands: H. van der Heide

I seem to have some recollection of acting as the pipes delivery man and bringing that over to him, now you mention it.

Huub Simons in The Hague (at the time) got a Boxwood B some twenty-ish years ago. I suppose that's still there although I believe Huub dropped off the grid at some point.

My brain hurts

Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

By direct communication, Mr. Wooff, Mr. Quinn and Mr. Gleeson gave their workshop out puts for full sets per year. Mr. Quinn stated seven sets per year. That also includes Mr. Koehlers work of reeding and voicing, so there are two makers involved. Mr.s Wooff and Gleeson both state four sets each per year. Figures don't lie, but liars figure. I see an attempt to cast pipemakers as being capable of making lots of money for their labor. Truth is I know all the above makers work far longer than 40 hour weeks and do not have lots of spare time at that. Any new makers coming along will have to come up to the line in tuning and voicing if their work is to be accepted by pipers. Lots of mid-range makers who don't have it all figured out yet. The top makers are not getting wealthy by any stretch of the imagination.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Did Alan Moller(the reedmaker) have a Wooff set at one time. It was said to me a long time ago ,but someone said a local piper here in Kerry sold a Wooff set to Alan Moller, he may still have it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

rorybbellows wrote: There was a concert pitch set sold recently on this forum made by Geoff and a piper called Oliver on the forum that also plays a Wooff set.
RORY
Aye, that's me... and no worries, the set is being played almost everyday... :)
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

I make a noise on a wooff Full set. I have a wide and narrow bore chanter for the full set.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Great pics Mr Gumby !
Thanks for posting. I know Hille and his set, but never seen Huub Simons set.
oliver wrote:
rorybbellows wrote: There was a concert pitch set sold recently on this forum made by Geoff and a piper called Oliver on the forum that also plays a Wooff set.
RORY
Aye, that's me... and no worries, the set is being played almost everyday... :)
Thats the man :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

patrick Jacob wrote:Great pics Mr Gumby !
Thanks for posting. I know Hille and his set, but never seen Huub Simons set.
I don't know, old stuff. At some point (1994-ish) Hille was using a different the chanter. I don't know what he's playing now.

The boxwood B looked (and played) lovely. Huub insisted on box despite Geoff's misgivings about using long lengths of it. It did go a bit bananas after a while.
My brain hurts

patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

I don't know, old stuff. At some point (1994-ish) Hille was using a different the chanter. I don't know what he's playing now.

The boxwood B looked (and played) lovely. Huub insisted on box despite Geoff's misgivings about using long lengths of it. It did go a bit bananas after a while.
Hille still plays the Wooff set but uses two chanters, the 1 keyed Geoff Wooff chanter and I think the other one is a Hevia chanter.
Hopefully the Banana Box B will turn up.

Were did you get all those older pictures of Dutch pipers, Mr Gumby ?

Patrick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Were did you get all those older pictures of Dutch pipers, Mr Gumby
I linked those from the NPU archive, the lazy way. I took them myself though. I have buckets of pictures of all sorts of pipers and other musicians, Dutch, Irish and otherwise. This way at least some of them get to be seen.
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

It's good that Peter and others have been documenting the Irish traditional community for so long. Peter's photographs are important. Last time we met up with Geoff was at Tocane St Apres in 2010, and he was looking very well and fit. I think Stefan is still playing his Wooff narrow bore D set up in Södertälje, Sweden. His set and my C chanter I believe are the only Wooff instruments in Scandinavia?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Was the Kayat set a NBD? I sort of remember it as maybe a C. It's a long time ago though so the memory is a bit blurred. He wanted it to look like the Kenna in Baines' book, with the chanter stock tied into the bag.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts