Nice interesting timber for a new batch of bellows

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dunnp
antispam: No

Re: Nice interesting timber for a new batch of bellows

Post by dunnp »

In this case it's very easy to see the confusion the Latin name of the wood in question is
Liriodendron tulipifera
tulip tree
Known for its tulip shaped flower.

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/Pic ... lar_d.html

I once saw a chanter made of the "other tulipwood". Can't remember where I saw the photo.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

There is a full set of pipes in Tulipwood listed as #28 on Uilleann Obsession. The Latin binomial is listed, rather than the common name.

I can see that the common name is sometimes applied to Tulip Poplar. In the US, Tulip Poplar is very inexpensive and mainly used for cabinetry, where it will be painted. I guess it might be considered an "exotic" when exported to Europe, as the price will be much higher due to shipping and duty fees. As it is a US native timber, it is looked at here more like common Poplar or other less expensive timbers.

Common names can be misleading. I do not see it as "nit-picking" to clarify what is ambiguous on the face of it. Like Rob said, it is good to be accurate. Martin's timber supplier is calling it by a common name applied to two different timbers.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

rorybbellows wrote:I find it annoying when I find something I want, really cheap on ebay, only to find by the time shipping and duty is added its not worth it.

RORY
20% import tax!
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Speaking as a hitherto-silent bystander on this thread, I appreciate learning the difference between tulip poplar and dalbergia-tulipwood. I don't think anybody means to disparage the integrity of Martin's supplier, or the indisputable appeal of Martin's bellows. We just want to be able to keep these two woods straight, ourselves!

By the way, in the U.S., hard maple (which like tulip poplar is plentiful and cheap here) also gets little respect, even though for many of us it's a lovely wood suitable for lots more than just painting over. Maybe cabinet makers are funny that way. :-/

Regards to all,
Mick
flutefry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

This is a confusing subject. Tulip poplar (Genus Liriodendron = lily tree) isn't a poplar (Genus Populus), it's a member of the magnolia family, which are not close relatives of poplar. "Tulip tree" comes from the flow shape. It's called poplar by the NA wood industry.

The general issue should be familiar to us all: different tunes having the same name, and the same tune having different names. Common names tend to be place-specific. So perhaps we can give each other a break....

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Hans-Joerg wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:I find it annoying when I find something I want, really cheap on ebay, only to find by the time shipping and duty is added its not worth it.
RORY
20% import tax!
The import tax is different for different products. Would you believe one of the highest import taxes is on Chinese bicycles. Apparently its a dumping(recycling) tax. The Irish government may be rubbish,but at least they know so are Chinese bicycles.
On the other hand I have found the cheapest fishing lures I can buy on the net are from China and the quality is good and no tax.
I can buy ten lures from china including postage for the same price as one lure (rapala) in the tackle shops here.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .