Most northerly pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

Last Anctartic summer I've met a guy here (New Zealand), setting out for the summer to McMurdo. He had a set of Scottish Smallpipes. Don't know if his collegues murdered him or not, but for the last summer there was one , in any case.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

bradhurley wrote:Okay, so how about the most southerly pipers? ... Tasmania?
How could any of us forget Phil Wardle of Tasmania who owns the Coyne set? Or Dicky Deegan.

BTW, Tasmania and New Zealand aren't that close to the south pole are they...compared to Alaska, Norway, Finland, and Sweden to the north?
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

They aren't, and in any case, there is plenty of South America still further south.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Wasn't there a set of vintage pipes found in Tasmania a few years back? Egan or Kenna or something similar?
PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I've heard of a few different classic/vintage sets floating around both Australia and New Zealand. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple in Tazmania.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Donald E Baltus

Post by Donald E Baltus »

liestman wrote:I have played pipes at Pruhoe Bay, on the north coast of Alaska, which is at latitude 70° 24.0' N, well within the Arctic Circle. Admittedly, they were Northumbrian smallpipes, but you did not specify uilleann, so there you go. I have a picture of me doing that somewhere, with a dogsled at my side and the icy waters behind me. I was not there long enough for the pipes to really dry out or for any bits to fall off. I did not see any yellow snow but did go to a great pancake breakfast (where I stole the margarine).
Hey, thanks for the input but of course we're talking about real pipes, not a keyboard layed out on a wood tube with a bellows. Personally, I think NSP are brilliant ways around buying a reamer and learning how to make a reed that will play in the second octave, but still Satan's lazy escape from learning how to play a musical instrument.
Baltus, Donald E
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Donald E Baltus wrote:
liestman wrote:I have played pipes at Pruhoe Bay, on the north coast of Alaska, which is at latitude 70° 24.0' N, well within the Arctic Circle. Admittedly, they were Northumbrian smallpipes, but you did not specify uilleann, so there you go. I have a picture of me doing that somewhere, with a dogsled at my side and the icy waters behind me. I was not there long enough for the pipes to really dry out or for any bits to fall off. I did not see any yellow snow but did go to a great pancake breakfast (where I stole the margarine).
Hey, thanks for the input but of course we're talking about real pipes, not a keyboard layed out on a wood tube with a bellows. Personally, I think NSP are brilliant ways around buying a reamer and learning how to make a reed that will play in the second octave, but still Satan's lazy escape from learning how to play a musical instrument.
Just a little biased, are we? :lol: