Reedmaking dingus

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Reedmaking dingus

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Thanks for the suggestion, M. I tried the strap from a pair of swim goggles, they were initially very grabby but instantly clogged up with dust. Seems you have to find just the right stuff here. I'm thinking the strap is latex but just a guess.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Tried a few more items from the Home Cheapo, very enthusiastic/interested employee suggested 3M spray adhesive - leave it on one side of a stick for a day or two, and it retains its tackiness, indeed I had to fairly yank the slip off to get it free, but it didn't leave any residual junk on the slip. But when you touch the glue on the stick it doesn't adhere to the fingers - you have to press into it for it to get tacky, somehow.

Also a winner: cheap latex gloves. You can test that out with just some double sided tape. With both of these you can fairly press the slip into the sandpaper like crazy. The adhesive is nice in that you can take the slip off the sanding cylinder and see how you're progressing. Dunno how each holds up in re: clogging. Both are dirt cheap, $4-5. Duck Tape doesn't work, though. Well, the non-sticky side, anyway...
Kevin L. Rietmann

I think I'll stick with the blu-tack after all, despite its clogging up it's great how the slip adheres to the tack so you can lift it off the cylinder and see how things are progressing.