Manchester Tionol 2010 - 27th Nov

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
David Lim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Manchester Tionol 2010 - 27th Nov

Post by David Lim »

The 2010 Manchester Tiónol is now finally organised and details can be found here:

NWUP Tiónol

The overall plan is: Workshops (10am-4pm), session and food at The Southern Hotel (5-8pm), concert at The Southern Hotel 8.45-12pm.

As well as the usual piping workshops (Gay McKeon) and reed making (Aaron Hagan) we will also have fiddle, whistle/flute, singing and guitar workshops.

The concert line up is exceptionally good with Gay McKeon, Michael McGoldrick, Niamh Parsons, Emma Sweeney and many other talented musicians.

It will be a great day and well worth the effort for any UK pipers

See you there

David
benwalker

Re: Manchester Tionol 2010 - 27th Nov

Post by benwalker »

:party: looks like it will be excellent. Sadly im not going to make it but im sure those who attend will have a great day and night.
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Richard Evans
antispam: No

Post by Richard Evans »

Anybody had a response re. the Tionol? I emailed the address on the website last week, have had no repsonse.

Richard
jwpipes66

Post by jwpipes66 »

hi, i was at the nwup meeting last wed. & it looks like its going to a cracking day. i know dave has been very busy sorting things out so if you get no response from your email ring mike spillane on 01204 888594.
see you there.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

this is like a day after my birthday!

ill do my best to get down.
morning wood

Post by morning wood »

As a pipe newbie I'm considering going to this, particularly as I don't have to bother with driving from Kent. For £70 I can get a return flight from Manston airport. Probably cost me not far of that in fuel. So I'll need a place for Friday and Saturday night any recommendations, perhaps somewhere central to the two venues?

Anything happen on Friday evening anywhere as I wouldn't want to be 'Billy no mates' in Manchester?

I'd like to bring my guitar as well, but flying with it worries the crap out of me :moreevil:
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Sorry guys, I will reply to all emails in the next hour.

Friday night session is still undecided. I'll check round and get a decision very soon.

morning wood, we can probably find you a sofa to sleep on at the very least, if you decide to attend.
But feel free to make use of the ample hotel accomodation in Manchester.
Luckily United are playing a local side that day so there should be plenty of spaces.

David
jwpipes66

Post by jwpipes66 »

just bumping this up to the top to remind folks. looks like a cracking day out.
jonathan.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Hi,

There will be a Friday session at The Victoria, 196 Burnage Lane, Manchester, M19 1FL

Workshops numbers look good, Mike McGoldrick's whistle/flute workshop is full... as expected :)

There are a few spaces in other workshops for any last minute deciders.

Gay McKeon arrives late Friday night and may visit the session, Aaron Hagan is arriving in good time for a few tunes.

I'll take a few photos to post up

See you there

David
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

Absolutely stellar day and evening of various noises.

Beginners bagpiping was super fun, painful cramp-inducing fun. And has led me to isolate and begin to correct several problems with my technique. Gay McKeon led it and i would like to thank him not only for correcting some of my problems but also for re-hemping most of the joints on my set - its now next to impossible to take it apart rather then next to impossible to keep it together!

The flute workshop was led by Michael McGoldrick and it was an honor to learn a few tunes and some new techniques off him. I didnt get the names for the tunes because i didnt bring anything to note them on, but i have managed to remember them all the way home and now have a terrible recording of me playing them so i can remember the bare bones.

The concert was wall-to-wall quality, and really a highlight to an alredy fantastic day.