Recordings (Youtube?) of Uilleann pipers that are also GHBs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin f. Gilstrap
antispam: No

Recordings (Youtube?) of Uilleann pipers that are also GHBs

Post by Kevin f. Gilstrap »

Are there any recording, that you all might be aware of, of Uilleann pipers that were first GHB players?

Thanks!

Kevin
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Recordings (Youtube?) of Uilleann pipers that are also GHBs

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Try listening to Seamus Ennis.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

sean folsom
dennis brooks
jerry o' sullivan
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Kevin f. Gilstrap

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Try listening to Seamus Ennis.
Did Seamus Ennis play Great Highland Bagpipes before playing Uilleann pipes?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Kevin f. Gilstrap wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Try listening to Seamus Ennis.
Did Seamus Ennis play Great Highland Bagpipes before playing Uilleann pipes?
Yup.
Ciarameddaru

Post by Ciarameddaru »

In the youtube video of Fred Morrison, the tune he is playing is called "Kansas City Hornpipe". It's a nice tune and as a KC native I was wondering how that name came about if anyone knows. Thanks
Zampogna: The Soul of Southern Italy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
Kevin f. Gilstrap

Ciarameddaru wrote:In the youtube video of Fred Morrison, the tune he is playing is called "Kansas City Hornpipe". It's a nice tune and as a KC native I was wondering how that name came about if anyone knows. Thanks
Over the past few years, Fred has made appearances at the MHAF(Midwest Highland Arts Fund) Winter Storm workshop. competition and concert; as an instructor, performer and, I believe, judge. My guess is that Fred's "Kansas City Hornpipe" might be a salute to his time in KC during the cold month of January for the workshops, competitions and concert.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ciarameddaru wrote:In the youtube video of Fred Morrison, the tune he is playing is called "Kansas City Hornpipe". It's a nice tune and as a KC native I was wondering how that name came about if anyone knows. Thanks
In 1833 John McCoy established West Port along the Santa Fe Trail, three miles away from the river. Then in 1834, McCoy established Westport Landing on a bend in the Missouri River to serve as a landing point for West Port. Soon after, the Kansas Town Company, a group of investors, began to settle the area, taking their name from an English spelling of "Cansez." In 1850 the landing area was incorporated as the Town of Kansas. :wink:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Ciarameddaru

Post by Ciarameddaru »

Uilliam - Up until 1855 it was thought that Westport was going to be the metropolis of the west. This obviously did not pan out and in 1899 it was consolidated with Cansez City. However its glory still lives on as a shady bar and hipster district and the occasional stabbing incident.

Kevin - I actually had the pleasure to see Fred Morrison play at the 2008 Winter Storm event. I remember he must of had about 12 microphones aiming at him from different levels and angles imprisoning him in a tangle of boom poles and cords. Of course he put on a great show. He knows how to work a crowd. I thought that perhaps the song might have something to do with his Winter Storm trips but wasn't certain. I didn't know if it was an older "traditional" song or a more contemporary composition by Fred himself. I'm assuming it's the latter.
Zampogna: The Soul of Southern Italy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
Kevin f. Gilstrap

Ciarameddaru wrote:Uilliam - Up until 1855 it was thought that Westport was going to be the metropolis of the west. This obviously did not pan out and in 1899 it was consolidated with Cansez City. However its glory still lives on as a shady bar and hipster district and the occasional stabbing incident.

Kevin - I actually had the pleasure to see Fred Morrison play at the 2008 Winter Storm event. I remember he must of had about 12 microphones aiming at him from different levels and angles imprisoning him in a tangle of boom poles and cords. Of course he put on a great show. He knows how to work a crowd. I thought that perhaps the song might have something to do with his Winter Storm trips but wasn't certain. I didn't know if it was an older "traditional" song or a more contemporary composition by Fred himself. I'm assuming it's the latter.
I'm not sure, mine was simply a guess, knowing how prolific Fred is in his music writing. Hey, if you were at the 2008 WS, you could have had to come by me at the front door. My wife, daughter, niece and brother-in-law were all taking tickets and handing out programs. We do that every year, so if you come back, stop and say hello!