Registration for the SoCal Tionól--Oct. 15 Deadline!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Registration for the SoCal Tionól--Oct. 15 Deadline!

Post by No E »

KAD wrote:Have fun, everyone! One of these years I mean to get out there for the fun and frolic...

Cheers,
KAD
Please do!

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

We'll be hitting the road in a few hours, looking forward to meeting you all!
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I only managed to make it by for the concert and following session, but boy am I glad I went up. Several of us from San Diego made the trek together yesterday evening, and had a blast singing sea songs and reciting poetry all the way there and back.

Pat D'Arcy and Kevin Crehan kicked off the concert with some delightful pipe and fiddle tunes, followed by Ivan Goff playing his Koehler & Quinn C set and Kevin Rowsome on D and Bb sets, each putting in an excellent solo performance. With a bit of singing between the piping performances, the concert was very nicely paced, and ended with an electrifying duo performance in concert pitch, with Ivan playing Pat D's K&Q set and Kevin his Leo Rowsome pipes.

Lewis Blevins made a moving dedication to the Rowsome family by formally presenting the famed and much-traveled Bb set once owned (and likely made) by Willie Rowsome back to Kevin, Willie's great-grandson, a grand and generous gesture. In Lewis' words, long may it remain close to the hand of a Rowsome.

Excellent evening, lovely music, and a delight to see old friends and make some new ones. I finally made it home at 4:30 AM.

Kudos to Larry, Pat, Gabe and the rest of the folks that organize these events. Well done! :thumbsup:
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Couldn't have said it better Jumper!! Glad you made it safe and sound. I got home at 7 essentially. :-)

Great time, sessions in B and concert; adult beverages in great store. Most people made it to Tionol HQ around 11 Sunday morning and broke up at 4 ish. Did I mention the workshops were brilliant!! Kudos to Eileen, Gabriel, Larry and the rest of the surly crowd.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes nicely worded there Jumper! I too only made it to the concert and after-concert party.

Singing sea songs eh? Wasn't it interesting to hear (and sing along with) a Canadian lumberjack version of the Sailor's Alphabet?

A's for the anchor that lies at our bow
B's for the bowsprit that the jibs all lie low.
C's for the capstan that we all blunder 'round
D's for the davits to lower the boats down.

chorus:
Merrily, merrily, merry sail we.
No mortal on earth's like a sailor at sea.
So heave away, haul away, the ship rolls along.
Give a sailor his grog and there's nothing goes wrong.

Luckily there's sailing terms like xebec and yardarm so the sailing version's a bit longer!

Anyhow the tone of Ivan's C set was fantastic. Those velvety regs! Not the foghorns you so often hear on Concert sets.

And the presentation of the old Rowsome set to Kevin was amazing, stunning. I went home and hauled out the photo and there it was!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

pancelticpiper wrote:Wasn't it interesting to hear (and sing along with) a Canadian lumberjack version of the Sailor's Alphabet?
Yes, Barry O'Neill led this as a singalong, between Ivan Goff's and Kevin Rowsome's performances. A fine juxtaposition of cheerful text with dour melody.

What was really hilarious about this was that MTGuru had, just minutes earlier, regaled us in the car with his version of the same song, compiled from the alphabet game started on this board the day before by mutepoint in the pub.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well first off I'd like to thank everyone that made the tionol possible. It was my first time out to the SoCal scene, and saying that it was awesome would be a huge under statement. More then worth the drive out from Phoenix. I couldn't believe the huge difference (improvment rather) in tone that the more humid climate out there gave the pipes. I've got to move!

I had a blast, and was sad to leave for home, but there's always next year.

Thanks guys,

-Eric
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Great weekend. Wonderful to see old friends and make some new ones. My brain still hurts from Kevin's lesson.

Now off to practice.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

A great weekend indeed. I wish my set played in AZ the same as it played in CA :(
I think Key-of_D and I will have to relocate to a more humid climate.

Kevin, Ivan and Benedict all very much impressed me with their skill and humility. I will be processing the information and events of the weekend for weeks to come. I very much enjoyed the chance to play Gaby's Geoff Wooff B set... hard to put it down!

Johnny