Pipes in C#

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j.hohl.kennedy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

It appears to me, in my limited experience, that very few recordings exist of C# pipes. Seamus Ennis, of course, had his Coyne set of pipes. And I know Dickey Deegan has a set in C#.

Are there any other recordings? Any other pipers out there who own/play sets in C#?

*Jonathan*
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Neillidh Mulligan
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

On 2003-01-17 12:59, Peter Laban wrote:
Neillidh Mulligan
Ah, yes, I've forgotten about Mr. Mulligan's set and recordings. I do have both of his, however lent to someone (mental note: get them back.) Thanks Peter.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

How about Kevin Rowsome?
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

One of the Neil Mulligan recordings is called The Leitrim Thrush, and also has his brother Tom on one of the tracks. Nice liner notes. It was released by Spring records, 50 Shore road, Rostrevor, County Down.
Marc
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

"If e'er you pass this way again, don't fail to see Rostrevor" - Séamus Ennis, quoting a person he collected tunes from. Does anyone know the rest of this quote? Can't quite put my finger on it now.

:smile:

Patrick.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The first Joe and Antonette McKenna album is with C# pipes; chanter in boxwood by Leo Rowsome, body by O'Meally.One should note that there are 16" chanters which are sharp of C but not up to C#,and 15" chanters also. Until the last 15 years or so many pipes were made in inches; a 17" chanter is near B but sharp of it according to A=440 standards, which were unknown when the older pipes were made. An 18" chanter can be refered to as a B flat but is really just flat of B. The Leo Rowsome 14" chanters are sharp of D but are often reeded down to D, yielding tuning problems. Lately we have been refering to pipes in pitches based on A=440 cps. This yields chanter lengths that are not at even inch lengths. This is handy for playing with other musicians at fixed pitches, particularly in D and sometimes C. I don't know why anyone would require a flat set in say B to be anything but approximate in pitch. Most old Egans, Coynes etc. are made in inches and trying to make them play to modern pitch standards is a disservice.

Ted

Ted

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ted on 2003-01-17 14:53 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Actually Neillidh resurrected his late father Tom for his recording.

Patrick, Mr James Cauley, fluteplayer of the Fingal Trio rhymed his holiday greetings to th Ennis family. Have it somewhere, wasn't that in the Eamonn de Buitleir film Miles and Miles of music that he told that one.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Peter,

Yeah that's the one. I love that video... needs another screening this weekend I think :smile:

I'm looking at Tommy Recks "Mason's Apron" in three keys. Getting into that 2nd octave C#.. .great stuff!

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2003-01-17 16:24 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Mickey Smith should be on the list as well I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2003-01-18 07:52 ]</font>
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

"Men may rhyme and men may not, but I could rhyme forever.
If e'er you pass this way again, don't fail to see Rostrevor."

A quote, if memory serves, from Seamus' uncle (whose name escapes me) in a letter to James Ennis. "....and that wasn't for his brother Brian's Christmas cards!" --Seamus.
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Ah, just read Peter's reply, stand corrected on the source...there'e the rest of the quote, anyway.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Great stuff,

That's the one...

Thanks Lemon :smile:

Patrick.
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

HI Guy's
I play a C# set, Dont forget Liam o' Flynn he now plays C# as well as concert he's got seamus Ennis's set you can hear them on his later CD's there's four cracking tracks on The Fine Art Piping CD by Liam and I hope theres more to come he certainly can makes them sing. 8)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Dublin piper Gay Mc Keown has a Coyne C sharp set as does Nollaig Mc Carthy also of Dublin. John Huges from the north of this country was playing a lovely sounding and unusual Coyne hybrid of some sort at the Belfast Tionol just past as well...... there are quite a few of them played or being let slumber behind closed doors in these climes.

Regards, Harry.