rowsome practice set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tok
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tok »

Yes,, it is tom , I think paddy plays his pipes with a strong pressure and If he presses hard enough on the bag they get quietier ,, thats what he told me ,,, If he eases off on the bag pressure ,, the reeds get louder ,, somthing like that ,,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2002-12-31 20:28 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Just to point out wear & tear (tok). It looks like it's been played a lot (which isn't a bad thing at all), and has more wear than some of the Rowsomes I've played. The wind cap is worn through to the brass in some locations and the blowpipe is also quite worn (you can see it in the Ebay picture). Again, all relatively unimportant things.

Dionys
tok

Post by tok »

Yes ,not a bad thing , rust wears more than use ,,, HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2003-01-01 04:27 ]</font>
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Paddy K used (uses?) a rubber bag (on his old set it was a piece of truck inner tube). That allowed him to overinflate, so that very little elbow pressure was needed on the bag.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

How much do you think that this set will sell for? Any guesses? Any recent comps?
Its FADA not FA...space limitation I guess.

New York pipers check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/332419835911/ (Cumann na bPíobairí Uilleann Inis Fada, the Long Island Uilleann Pipers Club)
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Part of the problem of guessing a price for this is that it's on Ebay. Ebay items with interest such as this tend to go for more than they're usualy worth and more than people who place a specific price on a set charge.

Dionys
tok

Post by tok »

I bid ,,, 1200.00
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Actually, I think that international interest will get them to near $1500.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I'd have to agree. It will be interesting to see. I recently saw a nicely reeded, playing Rowsome (with solid Rowsome sound & good tunning) in near perfect condition with much less wear and tear than this one, and 'deluxe' bellows (with Ivory connections and NP clapper-edging on the hinge side) go for around US$1500.

Dionys
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hey all;

Dionysius, where did this Rowsome come from? Anywhere public? Are there any more?

Mark
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

All I can tell you is to do what pretty much everyone else does on here. Check this board, the NPU board, the UPIL mailing list and Ebay. There are other resources if you look carefully. From time to time you can find a good buy in 'historic' sets.

For an example, a Leo Rowsome half set recently came up for sale on the NPU classifieds for $2500. Which kind of puts things into perspective if someone pays $1500 for this practice set on its own.

Just keep your eyes open, and if you're serious about purchasing an historic set be sure to keep the money on hand.

Dionys
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Oh boy! "piobairiuilleann" is serious @ $1525 so far! I guess I'll just place my bid here in the safety of friends...or is safe?
Maybe I'll just bid $1,000,000, get it for the next increment above the runner-up, try it out for a week, and resell it to "piobairiuilleann" when I'm done. It might be worth it just to try it out first.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I'll never understand why people bid so early in the auction. All it does is assure that the price will be driven up. For people who don't know:

The way to win an Ebay auction, and win it at the lowest amount, is to wait until the last few moments and place your highest bid. You may lose from time to time, but you're much more likely to get the item at a reasonable amount.

Dionys
kenr

Post by kenr »

This chanter is getting rediculously over-priced. Lorenzo hold on to your $1,000,000 and bid on Paddy Keenan's Crowley/Rowsome when it finally comes up for auction.

Dave Williams recently sent me a couple of jpegs of the set now that it's nearly completely renovated. The set looks absolutely amazing. If this Rowsome goes for over $1,500, I just hope it doesn't set a trend or the price for the Keenan set will just go through the roof.

Ken
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Didn't we already talk about this ??
Actually, restoration wasn't discussed.
Talk was a collector would scoop it up and put it in a museum where it wouldn't be played again.