reed issues, continued

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j.hohl.kennedy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

In order to continue to probe the minds of forum-goers, here are, specifically, my drone reed issues:

- They all were working fine, but were out of balance with my chanter reed --> they required too much air to play.

- I touched nothing except for the bindings and bridles. I had to retie some bridles because they were falling off.

- Should the bridle be very tight against the cane? I know it should be able to move around with my assistance but should it have any wiggle room on its own?

- The drones sound horrible now, and sometimes don't play at all. They require a TON of air to make these horrendous dying-duck noises. I've replaced the bridle and bindings using plain, waxed dental floss.

Suggestions?

Thank you, in advance.
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

You might try using the type of small rubber bands used by people with braces. If You find them too tight you could stretch them out to adjust the pressure they exert on the tongues. See if there are any tips on David Dayes pipe building website also.
Marc
j.hohl.kennedy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

On 2002-12-24 23:05, marcpipes wrote:
You might try using the type of small rubber bands used by people with braces. If You find them too tight you could stretch them out to adjust the pressure they exert on the tongues. See if there are any tips on David Dayes pipe building website also.
Marc
Thanks, Marc. I shall investigate.