D chanter playing C#, C chanter playing B

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Noli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

D chanter playing C#, C chanter playing B

Post by Noli »

after changing the reeds, I am playing now sometimes in C# with my narrow D chanter and in B with my flat C chanter.
In the concert pitch chanter I have placed a reed for bass regulator and in the flat C chanter I have placed a reed quite diferent, maybe for Bb chanter.
They seem to be balanced in both octaves but I don´t know if with not apropriated reeds the chanters have not the according responses when they are forced to play in one semitone lower pitches. Anyhow the tuning is correct but I don´t know anything about harmonics, etc. I should have the originals C# and B chanters to compare with. Can anyone throw some light?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

As ye can see frae the above diagram it is all aboot putting the right reed in.Whit was wrang wi the reeds ye had made up by yer local pipemaker?I thought ye said that the chanter was playing well?Maybe ye should put them back...ma calculations frae the graph tell me that this would be the way te go.This is obvious when ye compare the yellow and blue lines wi the other colours.Where yellow and blue can be maybe D and C and the other colours can be whitever ye like.
Alternatively ye where waxing lyrical o'oer a maker...
This is what ye posted just 16 days ago.........
"if you want a really well tuned and full keyed chanter you can ask Brian Howard to it. One of the best chanters I have heard. "

Take yer own advice or get him to reed it . :really:

Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Noli

Post by Noli »

I would like to know how you have made those calculations graphs, maybe at Matlab or Mathemathica. It is not clear at all but anyhow what I try to mean is that the tuning for both chanters now pitched at C# and B is correct but I don´t know if the response is appropriate or not, if the harmonics are or not the according to those pitches. Those two chanters always were easy to tune in their original pitches D and C. All the reeds were made by a reed maker who serves reeds for some pipers like Fred Morrison and many others.
If I had not any chanter for sure I would buy a chanter from Brian Howard. The problem is that I had already three chanters (2 concert pitch and one C flat) and Howard´s prices would create a greate complaint at home. You know what I mean.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Totally ignore the graph it is meaningless and just a joke..sorry...anyways
I don't really understand why if they are in C and D and they work well ye want to put different reeds in to give ye a different pitch.Are ye just experimenting?If so then have fun but I really do think that if ye had good reeds in before then ye should put them back.I don't think anyone really understands the harmonics fully of a reed.I don't think the reeds themselves fully understand :boggle:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
billh

Post by billh »

Uilliam wrote:Image

Slán Agat
Uilliam
Liam man, you been smoking my stash again?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Moi ??:wink: Follow the line young man to reach 440 :boggle:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam