close a hole and make another one in the bag for the mainsto

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
esticmec
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

close a hole and make another one in the bag for the mainsto

Post by esticmec »

hi everybody,

I've put the mainstock cap in the bag wrongly so now I want to close the hole I made in the bag and make another one where it should be.

I've thought about put leather inside the bag and out the bag with silicone to fix the hole, but before to do anything I've thought to asking...

thanks

esticmec
djm

Post by djm »

Buy a new bag. Start over.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

One trick Ive learned is to find some sort of inexpensive material, (heavy plastic tablecloth, old upholstery material such as naugahyde,)
and make a 'mock-up bag'.

Fold the material in half, trace your current bag shape onto it, tape or glue it together. It dosent have to be airtight, but only hold an inflation for a short time.

Mark where your pipes feel comfortable, "Tie" your stocks in, adjust until you're satisfied, several times if nessecary,.
THEN transfer the locations to a real bag and go for it.

Right now though, I'd get a new bag too. Patches, adhesive and sewing will eventually give out. The only other alternative is to make a 'dummy stock ' and tie it in where the mistake -hole is.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Nothing to lose try it. :wink: resealing the hole that is
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Silicone won't hold it. DJM has the best idea but if you wish to try and repair it I would glue a piece inside and out. I would sand the smooth leather rough with 80 grit, clean with acetone, put on 2 or 3 coats of contct cement on each side- let dry between coats and carefully put the inside piece in- pound with rubber mallot, coat patch and boundary around hole on the outside same way and pound with mallot On the inside piece I would insert waxed paper between the two pieces to be mated and carefully remove to let them bond. I'd have the patches over lap the whole about 2"s.
I've never done it but that's how I'd fix it.
Good luck! :)
Tansy
shy the blond water
Noli

Post by Noli »

The best option is to visit your confidence pipemaker and he shall do the best. Anyhow, before making any hole is better to make sure its position. Do it yourself can brings your headaches and nightmares. This kind of jobs I always try to do at my friend and pipemaker´s workshop. Saludos Xavi.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Agree with djm, a new bag will also avoid several headaches and frustration. Best of luck esticmec
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I didnae mean use silicon...go along to your friendly cobbler or bootmaker and ask for a drop of the adheshive he/she uses.You won't need very much.I use a glue called Renia Syntic Total frae Germany.It is powerful enough .One patch should be enough on the outside.After putting two applications of glue on the patch and bag,let the coats dry for about a few minutes in between, place patch on.Hit home as tansy says wi a mallet.Then clamp the bag between two pieces of board and leave for 24 hrs.Should be OK .
Uilliam
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

slightly OT,

Uilliam do you think
Uilliam wrote:a glue called Renia Syntic Total frae Germany.
would work on a rubber innertube?

ps love the new avatar :party:
esticmec

it seems it works

Post by esticmec »

Yesterday I've done as I told One piece of leather inside the bag another one outside and a lot of silicone, I couldn't wait 24 hours to try it (je je) it seems no leaks, 6 hours to 24...

the next step is to put the mainstock cup in its place..... do you know the perfect place??

thanks for your responses,

esticmec
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Chas R I will let ye know... I will glue two bits o rubber shortly and see if it holds... :)
Uilliam
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Chas the glue does not work on rubber. :( works well on Vinyl and leather surprised about the rubber but it works on Crepe :-?
Uilliam
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

Uilliam wrote:Chas the glue does not work on rubber. :( works well on Vinyl and leather surprised about the rubber but it works on Crepe :-?
Uilliam
Rubber vulcanization cross links the molecules which improves physical properties but makes the surface resistant to many chemicals so more difficult to glue than natrual crepe rubber (but better for underwear I'm told)
Simon
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

simonknight wrote:
Uilliam wrote:Chas the glue does not work on rubber. :( works well on Vinyl and leather surprised about the rubber but it works on Crepe :-?
Uilliam
Rubber vulcanization cross links the molecules which improves physical properties but makes the surface resistant to many chemicals so more difficult to glue than natrual crepe rubber (but better for underwear I'm told)
thanks both. back to step one, then.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Esticmec, is that silicone holding? I hate to be negatve but I fear it won't. Don't ever use Goop either, I've always had 100% failue rate within 6 months to a year with both of them. :o
Best of luck, Tansy
shy the blond water